Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

"Standard" brand 7 inch phonograph

Post by antique1973 »

I saw a couple small phonographs at a collector's house recently and
they looked like very early models similar to a Victor I or II. They
had internal horns however and 7 inch turntables with fat spindles.
One of which I recall was a "standard" brand. Is anyone familiar with
these types? Are they particularly rare? I would like to own one but
I would imagine finding the records would be quite difficult. Thanks
for any info about these models.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: "Standard" brand 7 inch phonograph

Post by OrthoSean »

The only Standard phonos I'm aware of with 7 inch turntables have external horns.

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

OS is right. The only Standard Talking Machine with a 7" turntable that I'm aware of is the AA - a version of the Columbia AU with a ½" spindle. There are several other Standard models with external and internal horns, but they all have 10" turntables. Standard machines and records are quite common.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

There was an internal horn standard, no lid, large spindle but with a 10" turntable. Like most Standards, makes more noise than a combine when running.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

Valecnik wrote: Like most Standards, makes more noise than a combine when running.
Not to be contrary, but I've got a couple of A models & an AU, and all have pretty quiet motors. They're all brutal on records, though - so they're just for display.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

My Standard model A has a very quiet motor as well. I too don't really play it since it pretty much eats records.

Sean

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Its possible I have my info mixed up, sorry about that. I will try to get some
photos when I go to look at the baby console next week. Thanks for the info guys!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

phonogfp wrote:Standard machines and records are quite common
I would agree that the 10 inch Standard Model A Talking Machines and 10 inch Standard Disc records are quite common. However, I have found few examples of the late model internal horn Standard Disc machines and the 7 inch Standard records are very uncommon - at least they have been for me. As a comparison, I have about one hundred and twenty 7 inch American Berliner records in my collection and no fewer than a thousand of the 10 inch Standard Disc records but just ten of the 7 inch Standard Disc records. But then, I don't attend any phono shows so all of my hunting has been in my travels, in "the wild".

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Edisone wrote:
Valecnik wrote: Like most Standards, makes more noise than a combine when running.
Not to be contrary, but I've got a couple of A models & an AU, and all have pretty quiet motors. They're all brutal on records, though - so they're just for display.
OrthoSean wrote:My Standard model A has a very quiet motor as well. I too don't really play it since it pretty much eats records.

Sean
Well hearing is believing so if you guys say you have machines with quiet running motors that's great. I guess we are all in agreement though that they chew up records... :monkey:

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Brutal, indeed! :lol:

I went out to my workshop where my Standard model A is in hibernation yesterday afternoon and wound it up and let it run down just to be sure I remembered correctly. Very quiet for one of those motors, I think, but I seem to remember being told that there is a fiber gear that can be the cause of noise if it is worn and replacements used to be available, although mine is original, I'm pretty certain. That was probably the first time in five years that motor had run!

Sean