Need advice for selling collection

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Duchesne
Victor O

Re: Need advice for selling collection

Post by Duchesne »

52089 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 am I anticipate moving and downsizing sometime this year. I have 20 or so machines and hundreds of records (cylinder, 78, and diamond disc) and I'm sure I'll be letting most if not all go to new homes. Most of the machines are fairly common but almost all are good, functioning machines.

I'd like some advice on how best to sell everything. I have posted some of the machines here in the past. I plan to try Craigslist for some things as well. I do not have or want a Facebook account. If you have other suggestions or recommendations (pro and con), please let me know. I am in the Boston suburbs if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your input and assistance.
You will be suffering from Withdrawal if you sell off the entire collection. Imagine a fire and think of the one you would save first, or something less horrid would be to imagine which one you could have as a favourite. You will miss them all when they're gone, but it will hurt less when you have one happy reminder of the impressive collection you used to have. They are also handy at parties, when the power goes out, or to take one with you on picnics (if anyone still does that)
Craigslist, kijiji, facebook marketplace are all useful in your area. The facebook marketplace allows for a save option so long after the items of others are sold, you can still see roughly what they sold for, and over time, you can develop a pseudo market view of the commodity/antiquity in question. I use a different name on Facebook and keep an arm's distance with selling. Being somewhat incognito on facebook does have its benefits.

With Kijiji, I keep all my email correspondence (well not literally, it's all on their servers but meh).

Another option is putting a few on ebay, but you need to sell hundreds of trinkets first and build up a good reputation and a feedback rating of near perfect before being able to attract viable collectors willing to pay decent prices for your collectibles.

Another option is word of mouth via local social networks, and Mechanical Musical Digest Groups and CAPS Groups et AL, and as well as on here.

Take plenty of CLEAR photos. Google Images is useful for allowing you to cross reference auction sites and terminology that will enable you to come off a bit more in the know and you learn something about the wood grains your looking at ( for example). I never understand why people will post one blurry photo without any details as to the wood grain, dimensions or other significant information, and then list it at $3,000 with the colossal effrontery to expect a FIRM price: If you're not going to put forth some effort, why on earth would anyone inquire? Buying and selling is a two-way street...

You've got lots of fun stuff to do with your collection. I think You'll make some good coin from it. Oh, if you're retired, try to sell them in a way that's not going to complicate your income taxes. ;)