A crafty Victrola restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: A crafty Victrola restoration

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Mr Sheff, do you think you can work your magic on it? πŸ™‚

That Elvis record has NO BUSINESSES being near that machine.

Duchesne
Victor O

Re: A crafty Victrola restoration

Post by Duchesne »

JerryVan wrote: ↑Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
drh wrote: ↑Sat May 01, 2021 4:01 pm ... this machine will never be "original" again.
Why not? It's just been painted with some awful "antiquing" finish. Can't see why it can't be stripped and finished. Granted, it's not one of the higher value machines that might make the project worthwhile, but it's an oak cabinet that could look good again.
You know. I thought for a split second you were blind, but then I noticed this time around I could click on the images and take a much closer look. Glad I did! You definitely have a good eye to have spotted the quarter-sawn veneer on the inside of the piece. This means, and from closer inspection from the close-ups tells me that the piece wasn't stripped down but had a faux wood (maybe the "artist" was aiming for amboyna burl?) finish on TOP. This ( to me ) says that the piece may be confidently stripped of this... "masterpiece" to reveal a more valuable quarter-sawn oak veneered cabinet. I looked at the close-up of the list and saw the tell-tale signs of veneer on the surface of the volume doors. So, this isn't an "imitation Walnut" stripped to its poplar wood base, but a quartered oak ( some call tiger oak) finish waiting to be renewed... So all of a sudden this piece has become MUCH more valuable..... [crap]! I wish I were closer....