Thoughts on these two Edison Standard E horns

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonolair
Victor III

Thoughts on these two Edison Standard E horns

Post by Phonolair »

Before now I have not seen or noticed two different size Edison Standard E horns. One is the normal Standard, 10 panel horn painted for the model E. The other is an 11 panel Home horn, painted for the Edison Standard E machine.
Both are original paint, and both have the Edison Standard decal. Both have the same painted flower pattern for the Standard E model.
Did Edison run short of Standard horns to paint and in a pinch use some Home horns to fill in.
Were these larger painted Standard E horns used for the mail order Firesides that had the double feet to keep them from tipping over.
Or is this common and I haven't been paying attention.
What are your thoughts, you won't hurt my feeling.

Larry Crandell
P1180052.JPG
P1180049.JPG

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Thoughts on these two Edison Standard E horns

Post by edisonplayer »

Very nice. BTW;I saw a Standard E once.edisonplayer.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I've seen quite a few of the 10 panel Edison blue flowered horns for the Standard model E but never an 11 panel Edison blue flowered horn for the Standard model E. I would presume it was some sort of special order but whatever the reason I would consider this horn exceedingly uncommon. The fact that it wears an original "Standard" decal suggests that it was likely made for the Standard model and not the Home model and I would think it would be a bit tipsy for a Fireside even with the double feet.

Doug

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

My take is that the Standard E was a way for Edison (and mail order retailers like Babson Bros.) to move increasingly stagnant stock. Straight horns by 1911 were quickly becoming a thing of the past. They sounded good but took up a lot of room. Many, if not all of these flowered horns were stripped black horns that were repainted. Often the paint on these look pretty bad. I suspect some of this is due to the stripping process. It would not surprise me that the Home horns were also pressed into service toward the end.

These examples are in really nice condition. Together, they tell the story of the last days of open horn Edison phonographs. Thanks for the photos!

Martin

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Looks nice! I would love to have one for mine lol.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Thanks guys for the comments and information, all is much appreciated.
The 11 panel is the one I just picked up because it was in such nice condition. I didn't notice the size difference until I got it home.
So the 10 panel will stay on my Edison Standard E, and I put the 11 panel on a double foot Fireside. It looks big but it's solid enough that it will not tip over, not on its own anyway.
So the little unique two footed Fireside will be a little more unique with the bigger horn.

Larry Crandell

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

Probably just me, but what is the two footed Standard E?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Kent in KC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:29 pm Probably just me, but what is the two footed Standard E?
There was another style of the "no tip foot" offered, that had no socket in it to insert the crane. It was just a simple foot, and was used in combination with the "crane socket" version. In other words, there were 2 "No Tip" feet, usually, one on towards the left end of the cabinet and one towards the right end. I'm sure someone will post a pic. (I don't have an example of one)

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Kent in KC wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:29 pm Probably just me, but what is the two footed Standard E?
As far as I know there was no two footed Edison Standard E or any other Standard model. Only the Edison Fireside (model A) was offered with the extra "no tip foot" which Larry mentioned in his comment (see below). Being a relatively lighter weight phonograph, the Edison Fireside was more prone to tipping over when used with a larger front mount horn (versus the petite size red Fireside horn) so the second (crane-looking) foot was made available for the Fireside.
Phonolair wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 am So the little unique two footed Fireside will be a little more unique with the bigger horn.