Columbia Grafonola De Luxe

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Duchesne
Victor O

Re: Columbia Grafonola De Luxe

Post by Duchesne »

Zenger wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm Greetings. I own a Columbia Grafonola De Luxe (third style), and I'd like to find a key for it. Can anyone post of a picture of what one should look like?

And if anyone should actually have one for sale, please PM me.

Thanks!
Once you know what the key tip looks like and the dimensions (someone may need to send a photo with tape measure or calipers for diameter if need me), you can cross-reference Antique Key ads from online markets. They're often sold in bundles. I've been working on getting a key for every piece of of furniture in my collection that has a keyhole. Good luck!

Duchesne
Victor O

Re: Columbia Grafonola De Luxe

Post by Duchesne »

BillH_NJ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:08 am
Duchesne wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:56 pm WOW! That's rather pretty!
I only have two "mignonettes" from '15 in mahogany (Montana phonograph website has its sister in quartered oak *swoon*), I've not seen a De Luxe like yours with the extra upper carving on the front corners though. The casters have a nice clean collar/escutcheon on them. Are the casters original? They look really sharp.
The casters appear to be original but I am not certain—they were there when I acquired it. I got it because we happened to be in Charlie Martin’s place in Bristol, PA when a woman came it to ask about selling it for her parents in the Wilkes-Barre area. Charlie turned her down but we were interested in getting it and made a deal with her to get it directly from her parents’ men’s clothing store around Wilkes-Barre. It did have a non-gold elbow on the tonearm but everything else was there and the finish was in great shape.

Bill
Very nice find Bill, I did see a walnut job on FB marketplace, but I wasn't keen on the travel during this time... I think it was listed for $325. I do prefer them when they have a challenge. My second mignonette needs the springs re-drilled (I suspect). I may photograph the progress. I have to watch out though so they don't fly out all-of-a-sudden and slit my throat. I usually wear a large scarf, gloves, goggles, and a face shield... Last time i worked on one was 2005. Still, these are beautiful pieces you and the OP have. Cheers!