Zonophone phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Re: Zonophone phonograph

Post by dzavracky »

JerryVan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 am I saw this on FB too. Nice machine, and a very nice buy! Glad you got it! It was made after Victor took over Zonophone, so a Victor slotted crank would be appropriate. The "conversion" to a rear mount arrangement was done by the factory and is proper and correct.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but the gear doesn't look all thaaaaat bad. If my shop weren't torn down :( , I could make you one.
The teeth don’t look as bad now cause I carefully filed them. The problem is that some of the teeth are just too short! So it won’t mesh with the govenor gear. I’m good friends with a machinist so maybe he can help me make one.

Is it possible to disassemble the gear and press a new one back on?

David

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Great find, as I stated in my message earlier.... I am glad to see early machines that were a little "off the radar" being located and coming into the hands of qualified collectors.... Love it...

Congratulations!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

dzavracky wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am
JerryVan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 am I saw this on FB too. Nice machine, and a very nice buy! Glad you got it! It was made after Victor took over Zonophone, so a Victor slotted crank would be appropriate. The "conversion" to a rear mount arrangement was done by the factory and is proper and correct.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but the gear doesn't look all thaaaaat bad. If my shop weren't torn down :( , I could make you one.

David
Yes. That's how it should be done. But, before pressing the old gear off, the swaged over hub needs to be machined away just a bit so the gear can pass clearly off of the hub. After pressing back on, some solder would also be a good thing.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's possible that a square toothed Victor gear can been modified to work, HOWEVER, it has been my experience that some Victor era Zonophones have similar looking gears, but are of a different size that will not interchange.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

JerryVan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm
dzavracky wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

David
Yes. That's how it should be done. But, before pressing the old gear off, the swaged over hub needs to be machined away just a bit so the gear can pass clearly off of the hub. After pressing back on, some solder would also be a good thing.

I am hopefully going to go visit the machinist soon. Maybe we can braze the gear up a little bit and file it back down to size? Or is a brand new gear the best option?

David

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

A new gear is the best option. Brazing and filing in new teeth is the worst option. Brazing and cutting in new teeth is a good option, if done well, but if you can do that, you can make a new gear as well.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

JerryVan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 pm A new gear is the best option. Brazing and filing in new teeth is the worst option. Brazing and cutting in new teeth is a good option, if done well, but if you can do that, you can make a new gear as well.
Okay sounds good. He has all sorts of equipment, I’m sure he can help make me a new one.

I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress!

David

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A Victor slotted crank--Getting one from JAS Antiques (ladanjus) on eBay is a good way to get a really nice replica. I've compared it to an original and it's almost impossible to tell.

I hope you & the machinist will be able to make a fresh gear! That will be a great help.

Charles F

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I had one of those "transitional" Zonos and if I remember correctly, the crank was an "S" shaped "drop off" crank...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I handmade this crank from flat brass stock for my Symphonion music box, using a pattern made from my Zonophone crank. I don't know which style is appropriate for your particular Zono, but this style was original to mine...
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 11.51.50 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife