Playing "newer" records on Victor VIII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
smitharthur
Victor I
Personal Text: smitharthur

Playing "newer" records on Victor VIII

Post by smitharthur »

I have a serviced and rebuilt Victrola VIII. It has a fully serviced and rebuilt Exhibition reproducer. My understanding is that there are more "modern" reproducers that might be suitable for playing electric and post-WW2 records. I am still fairly new to this hobby. Are there compatible reproducers that will work on this machine, that I can swap out as needed, and that wont cost an arm and a leg? I really dont like playing any 78's on a turntable, as the 3 mil stylus and modern amplification really does emphasize the pops and clicks. And no, I do not want to "convert them to digital", as I do not have the time or the patience, and generally don't care for the results.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Playing "newer" records on Victor VIII

Post by Inigo »

The no2 Victor or HMV soundbox is compatible, and being more compliant, it would be better for electrical recordings. And better the no4. The problem with this is that it's far larger than the Exhibition, and the angle of the needle on the record will be far from the recommended value.
There's another possibility which I've used with success, and it is too use the Exhibition with very soft needles. I've found that the RECOTON type (those needles with the thin needle protruding from the thicker shaft) is good for playing modern 78s with the Exhibition. Provided that they are not vinyl based records (i. e. the Victors of the late forties, the later Capitols and Deccas and MGMs, al those staring in their labels that they are pressed in vinylite, Deccalite, Metrolite or similar "unbreakable" material for late 78s; they feel unmistakably plastic, thin and light). The problem with these is that the record material gets destroyed under the heavy soundboxes.
Here's the type of needle I mentioned
The attachment s-l300 (1).jpg is no longer available
s-l300 (1).jpg
s-l300 (1).jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Inigo

smitharthur
Victor I

Post by smitharthur »

Thank you, this is very helpful. Are Recoton needles easy to find? Or is there a modern day version that is available? I have never tried soft tone needles, and up to now, have only used mediums.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You may find similar needles of other brands, I believe that all important brands made their own. For instance, in Europe the German Laubscher brand is easily found. Just check eBay adds with photos of the needles in the boxes. They're ready to find in NOS packages. Modern steel needles suppliers are mentioned in the Links section of this forum. I always buy from british colleague soundgen, whose needles are very good. He used to have an extrasoft class that was suitable, but the shafts of the needle is as thin as the point, and they may not be gripable by the exhibition needle chuck. You'll need a type of needle that is the same, but with a thin wire rolled and pressed around the shaft, to make the needle more gripable... Ask him if he has this type, or any other needle supplier in your area, if you want to save mail costs. Although mail costs for such a tiny package of, say, 1000 needless, costs anything...!
Another option is the bamboo needles, but these don't work well on vinylite based 78s. But on shellac based 78s, they also work well.
For vinylite 78s, frankly, I cannot find a good option for acoustic machines, I've never tried the cactus needles, though... and these seem promising. I play vinylite 78s only in modern turntables.
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Inigo wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm
For vinylite 78s, frankly, I cannot find a good option for acoustic machines, I've never tried the cactus needles, though... and these seem promising. I play vinylite 78s only in modern turntables.
Iñigo, I have had good results playing V discs and other vynilite records from the same period, like the red-colored Victor masterpieces with the burmese thorn needles. The reproduction is good and there is no noticeable wear to the record.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I found a batch of those same needles, I think mine are "Decca-tone". I love them on my Credenza and I've experimented on some less fresh records, seems you can get more than one play out of them. They seemed to be along the lines of the Tungs-tone needles and I thought I'd give it a shot. I found I could get about 10-15 plays before they lost quality of sound. Granted I wouldn't do that on very nice records, just some of the trashed copies that get included when you pick up a used/abused old phonograph...

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

The Recoton needles do turn up frequently on eBay. Plus, I believe they -- along with Pfanstiehl needles -- were actually made by Laubscher. I have lots of Laubscher needles, and the Recotons look just like them. I believe if you examine a packet of Pfanstiehl steel needles it will state that they were manufactured in Switzerland, which is also where Laubschers were manufactured.

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

For playing electrical-process records on acoustic Victrolas, I've had great results from a Thorens Primaphonic soundbox, which has the same mount as an Exhibition or No. 2 soundbox. They tend to turn up on eBay frequently and usually not for much money. Highly recommended.
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

smitharthur
Victor I

Post by smitharthur »

This is great to know, thank you! A

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

CharliePhono wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:39 pm The Recoton needles do turn up frequently on eBay. Plus, I believe they -- along with Pfanstiehl needles -- were actually made by Laubscher. I have lots of Laubscher needles, and the Recotons look just like them. I believe if you examine a packet of Pfanstiehl steel needles it will state that they were manufactured in Switzerland, which is also where Laubschers were manufactured.
This thread brings back memories. When I bought my second Victrola while in high school in the late 1960's, I asked the guy selling it where I could buy needles. He directed me to a local radio parts store that sold Fidelitone steel needles for a quarter a pack (see photos below from a recent ebay listing). I bought needles from the radio shop for several years until it eventually closed down. I always liked those needles. Fast forward to the mid 1980s, and I responded to an ad in APM from a guy selling Laubscher Pianissimo needles. As it turned out, they were the same as the Fidelitones I had purchased in the past. A few years later, I wrote to the Laubscher company in Switzerland, and they sent me some samples. I purchased a few thousand Laubscher Pianissimo and some of their other varieties of steel needles. I regret that I didn't buy more at the time.

I now use Mike Child's (soundgen) soft tone needles, and I am very pleased with them. Although different in shape, they work well.
s-l1600-needles2.jpg
s-l1600-needles1.jpg
Best regards ... AZ*