Interesting Paper in Sheraton Edison Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Interesting Paper in Sheraton Edison Phonograph

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Gang,

I am in the process of cleaning and now fixing (broke friction lever) my Edison S-19 Phonograph.

After removing the motor plate, I found a tag and an "antique" leave inside the case. The leave was no value...but the tag is interesting as it talks about an electrical pickup. Also, on the top of the wood pieces that are around the motor plate were two pieces of "something". In the picture are the items. I suspect that the tag and loose items were talking about an actual electrical arm and pickup that at one time were used. The interesting date of 1925 is present, as that was when the western electric system was used with the Victor 78 Records...but here in 1925 (Edison introduced electric records in 1927) is an indication of a new electric Edison.

Marc
IMG_0996.JPG
Last edited by Marc Hildebrant on Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Interesting Paper in Sheridan Edison Phonograph

Post by Skihawx »

I would guess the person intended to say that the machine was of new or advanced design to play the electrically recorded records via acoustic means.

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Re: Interesting Paper in Sheridon Edison Phonograph

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Skihawx,

That could be, however the Edison Company wasn't actively working on Electric recording until 1927, after getting permission from TAE. Curious that at this early stage (1925) there would be concern about the yet to be announced Edison Electric records.

Marc

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Interesting Paper in Sheridon Edison Phonograph

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think it's just something a past collector has typed out, saying it's a smaller and lower priced laboratory model.
It probably had an electric pickup mounted in it at some stage, and he's just put 1925 as the date he thinks the machine was manufactured.