Oil Tube Positioning\Cleaning Edison Sheraton Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Oil Tube Positioning\Cleaning Edison Sheraton Phonograph

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

Group,

The oil would not flow from the cup under the turntable on my Sheraton S-19 Phonograph. With the motor plate upside-down I plan to clean them, but, before I start the location of some seems to be wrong in that the felt doesn't touch a rotating part.

Is there a method to clean them out and is there a good picture of how they should be positioned ? I have attached a picture before I have done anything to them.

Marc
IMG_0997.JPG
Last edited by Marc Hildebrant on Sun May 09, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Oil Tube Positioning\Cleaning Edison Sheridan Phonograph

Post by JerryVan »

The felt doesn't need to touch. Just needs to be near enough to let a drop of oil fall on the bearing. Before you clean the tubes out, do you have replacement felt to put back in the ends?

(BTW, Sheraton)

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Re: Oil Tube Positioning\Cleaning Edison Sheraton Phonograph

JerryVan,

No, I have no replacement felt or for that matter even know how the felt is held in the tube.

I have worked on clocks and Edison Cylinder Machines, but this is the first Diamond Disc Phonograph I have taken apart.

Thanks for the correct spelling of Sheraton.

Marc
Last edited by Marc Hildebrant on Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Oil Tube Positioning\Cleaning Edison Sheridon Phonograph

Post by gramophoneshane »

I just push a fine wire down each hole to make sure there's nothing solid obstructing the tube, but I don't push it hard enough to push the felt wick from the tube. As far as I know the wick is not glued or clamped to the tube but is just compacted enough to hold itself in place.
It really shouldn't matter much about dust in the tubes because the oil would seep through most dust anyway.
I do use the wire to expel air from each line though, and once each tube seems to be full of oil, I fill the cup and leave it, and probably only refill the cup again every 2-3 months.
You'll probably find it actually just air stopping the oil from disappearing straight away and they're not really clogged or need cleaning out.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

*Sheraton, not “Sheridon”.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Just for reference: "Sheraton" is a furniture "style" developed by Thomas Sheraton in the late 1700s. Edison "Sheraton" cabinets are a loose interpretation of that specific style. Sheraton was influenced by French furniture and his designs feature elements of the Louis XVI and Directoire style. His later work shows a shift to the Empire style and is increasingly heavier.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

JohnM,

Thanks for the spelling. Do you have any comments regarding the correct position of the oil tubes or how to clean them ?

Marc

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II

Curt A,

Interesting info on the cabinet style. I had visited Sheridan Wyoming many times and just thought that was the correct spelling. Sheridan Wyoming was named after Philip Sheridan a Union Cavalry general and a real nice Western town.

Marc