Columbia Graphophone AH horn restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
langleycello
Victor Jr

Columbia Graphophone AH horn restoration

Post by langleycello »

Greetings,

I am new to this forum and thanks for the opportunity to partake.

I am in the process of restoring a 1904 ish Columbia AH machine but the tin section of the horn is badly rusted. I presume finding a competent tinsmith is my best option here as the brass bell seems ok. Another possibility is to make some sort of insert and try and patch things...? Does anyone have any thoughts about a positive way forward? The rest of the machine seems OK except for some oak laminate lifting on the plinth.

The other thing I need to consider is sourcing an elbow for the horn after it is restored. I imagine a reproduction elbow would be easiest but would value any thoughts as to where I could enquire. I have seen leather elbows on some early machines too.

Thanks for any thoughts on my project and I hope the pic of the horn comes through OK ;)

Kind regards,

Stephen (Melbourne)
Attachments
24743DF8-05C1-47C8-A4B6-ECA4565D3785.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Columbia Graphophone AH horn restoration

Post by JerryVan »

It would be faaaar cheaper to buy another horn.

langleycello
Victor Jr

Post by langleycello »

Thanks for your return,

That is good to know - I wonder if decent repro horns for these Columbia’s are made? The other issue I have to contend with is the fact that machines and parts of this ilk are scarier here ( AUS) than in the US and postage costs are high. It would be lovely to preserve the original bell but the reconstruction and graft of the tin section may be pricy too...

Cheers,

Stephen

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I agree with Jerry - this horn is toast and beyond repair... Original horns of this type are still found - just be patient and keep looking.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

cosmo666
Victor Jr

Post by cosmo666 »

I may have the section of horn that you are needing. It measures 17" long w/o the brass bell section. The bell section area measures 7.5 ". It is in good solid shape and the crimped end looks like it could be attached to your bell section with a little tedious work. It would need a little sanding and repainting. There is no pat. pend. date stamped on it but I have no reason to believe it is not an original. I also have the elbow that fits the horn. As others have said, (with a little patience) it would probably be easier to find a complete horn but how else would you have such much fun putting that machine back together. :lol: PM me if there is any interest.-Mike

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Sometimes it's time to punt and get a replacement horn. You're there. If you have the support arm and traveling arm it's important to get a horn of the proper length. Also, the small end of the horn came in two versions. Early AH machines used a leather elbow to connect the horn to the reproducer. Later ones had a brass elbow for that connection. At shows you frequently see an early model with a brass elbow. Sellers are quick to say it was an upgrade but I am doubtful. For an original owner to "upgrade" the elbow would require also buying a new horn which would be expensive. The horns that mate with the brass elbow are more plentiful and easy to find. Those trying to complete a machine would find it easier to find a horn that accepts a brass elbow over the earlier horn.

I would suggest you post a photo of your cabinet and please include the support and traveling arms and post the length of the arms. Good luck with your project.

Jerry B.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Yup, like others said that horn is shot. I had that same disappointment when I found this horn in an antique store a couple years ago. ☹️
Attachments
7A49EE57-DD76-44B0-ABAC-1B6BFB21B06D.jpeg

langleycello
Victor Jr

Post by langleycello »

My sincere thanks for all your perspectives and I now feel more alert to possibilities etc.

I do have the opportunity to chat with a local tinsmith but my gut feeling is that it may be too complex / pricey to complete a graft with the existing bell. Another thought is to take up Mike’s offer as his horn ‘section’ sounds about right, but postage to Aus may be prohibitive. I will also enquire at our local phonograph societies and see if something may emerge. I have not yet made contact with any local enthusiasts at this point in time.

Presently I don’t have the machine at hand except for the reproducer which has already been restored. Alas, I do have a pic taken decades ago of the AH in question but it doesn’t reveal much. I think it has a centrally located crank unlike the very early machines. In the next few weeks I will retrieve it from storage and get the ball rolling. Again my sincere thanks for your shared expertise and pathways. I’ll post some more pics as the story unfolds.

Meanwhile is is a pic of my parents dog (Chester) at the helm and another of the reproducer.

Kind regards,

Stephen
Attachments
B75FD73A-C74B-4B8F-BA71-4FF11F4A1D4D.jpeg
05BA610C-56F6-45EC-A94D-70EEC849A669.jpeg

langleycello
Victor Jr

Post by langleycello »

Update

Greetings - I’m pleased to say that a local tinsmith has offered to reconstruct the rusted lower section of my existing Columbia AH horn for a reasonable price.

I just wonder if someone has a measurement from the join edge of the tin section ( not including the brass bell) to the narrow end of the cone? I also wonder how wide the opening is at the narrow end as well? Finally, I wonder what sort of elbow a 1904 AH may have used and if there are reproductions ( in brass) available? If I can’ t access an elbow, perhaps I may get a leather one made up. Does anyone have a template for this?

Thanks for any consideration and perhaps a close up pic of the elbow and cone end may be helpful but no expectations.

Kind regards,

Stephen