AB Macdonald Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cosmo666
Victor Jr

AB Macdonald Question

Post by cosmo666 »

Hi all. I just purchased a Columbia AB Macdonald and there is 1.25" spacer in the shape of a "C" that I was wondering what it's purpose was. It is located between the motor plate and the base on the front left side. I searched the internet and found a dozen different pictures but none had this spacer. It is nickeled like the rest of the top works and looks like it belongs there but can't figure what it was for. By the way the serial no. is 750437 which is lower than the low end listed in Mr. Hazelcorn's book. Any ideas? I know a picture would be helpful but I'm having a heck of time trying to get that to work. You know how us old guys are. :roll: - Mike

fmblizz
Victor IV

Re: AB Macdonald Question

Post by fmblizz »

Pictures would definitely help..

blizz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Is it loose? If so, it sounds like a reproducer weight... they are shaped like a "C" or a horseshoe. :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

I think Curt is onto something. If it's thick, nickel-plated, and it looks like a washer or spacer with a wide slot cut into it, then it's probably an after-market weight for the reproducer. Floating reproducer weights were designed to slip over the front collar of the reproducer (the hump in the center top). They were typically used with Q reproducers, but I've seen them with other floating reproducers. If it's an original Mobley weight, ca. 1900 or so, that's a nice bonus. They're uncommon and very collectible. You might want to look it over closely with a magnifying glass to see if it's signed anywhere, or has a patent date stamped into it.

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

cosmo666
Victor Jr

Post by cosmo666 »

You guys are good!! I slipped that piece on top of a #2 reproducer that I have on my "B" and it fits like a glove. How it got under the motor plate is anyone's guess. Must have been there for a long time because it left a mark in the finish. No markings on the weight but yes it's a bonus. Now if I can find out how this low numbered machine fits into the production range, I'll be a happy camper. Thanks all. -Mike :D

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

My Columbia AB also came with this. I've attached a picture of mine.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_7219.JPG

cosmo666
Victor Jr

Post by cosmo666 »

Yep, that's what it looks like. Where was yours located on the machine? Attached somewhere or loose?

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Hi Mike, Mine was inside a little paper bag along with the winding key under the mandrel. Here's a video of mine that I posted on YouTube channel years ago. https://youtu.be/Q5p01PX7a7w I hardly play it anymore. :( Fun to see a pic or two of yours sometime if you care to share. :)

Doug

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

cosmo666 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 am Now if I can find out how this low numbered machine fits into the production range, I'll be a happy camper. Thanks all. -Mike :D
The AB serial number range is from 750,001 to 760,000. The lowest number I have recorded is #750202 and highest is #759422.
They have a mix, pretty much 50-50, of #4 and #5 reproducers. A couple have #2 or #7 reproducers. I don't think either was "normally" put on the AB
from the factory.

The majority of them use the common "T" style reproducer lift mechanism as found on most Columbia machines, it appears the first 1000 units
used a pin to raise and lower the reproducer. Highest number so far with the pin lift is #750858, #751023 is the lowest "T" lift found.

All have the "The Graphophone" with "New York & Paris" decal.

Your AB was sold at Stanton's Auction 1/15/2021 (info in case you didn't buy it there)

Chuck

cosmo666
Victor Jr

Post by cosmo666 »

Thanks Chuck. I do have the pin lift which makes the reproducer not lower to the cylinder straight but it still plays ok. Did not pick it up at Stantons but just bought it from one of the forum members. Was'nt too crazy about how it looked initially but it cleaned up very nicely and plays well. It was packaged that if if fell from the plane it would have survived. Thanks Raphael. -Mike