Download The EMG Story for free

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Download The EMG Story for free

Post by chunnybh »

The EMG Story can now be downloaded from my site for free. It's free to share with anyone who wants to read it.
http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/francis-james.html

Victor VI

Re: Download The EMG Story for free

Post by 52089 »

Thank you for this. I had literally never heard of EMG prior to joining this board. I doubt I would ever be able to own one, but hope to perhaps be able to hear one in person someday. I'm looking forward to reading the book!

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Many, many thanks for hosting this invaluable resource on your website, and to the family of Francis James for making this available.

OrthoFan

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

My thanks for them too!
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

When I acquired the last copy that the CLPGS Bookshop had I was warned that once I had read it I would want one of the machines, and so it proved, but even if you never own one you will enjoy the book. It is so well written that it almost reads like an adventure story.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

Thank you so much for this!

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Since the book has been out of print for a long time, it is heartwarming to know that the family of my old friend, Frank James have given their gracious consent to let the book be available to all. I recommend all to read it, even if they do not contemplate buying one of these gramophones.
A wonderful read is the book. Where else could the designs and manufacture of these quirky instruments be but England!. It is difficult to describe the feeling that comes over someone when they hear one of these EMG's, Ginn, or Cascade instruments. It is another world indeed, and cannot be described other than the great enjoyment obtained from machines that were made for the ultimate in acoustical reproduction. I have been lucky enough to have owned several over the years since 1995. Life would not be the same without one.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

This a wonderful gesture, and I recommend that anyone interested in gramophone history should read "The EMG Story." I was fortunate to obtain a copy directly from the publisher at cover price plus shipping about 10 years ago. Although I had seen photos and descriptions of these machines in Proudfoot's 1980 Phonographs & Gramophones book, I did not have a full appreciation for them until I read Frank's book. And just like epigramophone said, once I read the book, I had to own one of these quirky, but magnificent gramophones.

Note that the .pdf available for download includes a few extra pages at the end of the file which were compiled by Frank after the book was published.
Best regards ... AZ*