Kansas City Kitty on Cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Kansas City Kitty on Cylinder

Post by Valecnik »

I've never even seen, let alone had a chance to buy an original copy of Kansas City Kitty on Edison. Now our own "WDC" & Berlin Phono works are offering a fantastic reissue from an original mold and at a price many of us can manage.

Enjoy! :D
[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayjTjsW41c[/youtubehq]

Retrograde
Victor III

Re: Kansas City Kitty on Cylinder

Post by Retrograde »

Great tune! What's the story on this re-issue? If I remember correctly, the original is one of those elusive 5000 series blue amberols.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Likewise this is the first time I have heard this often quoted and elusive cylinder. An excellent dance tune. A brilliant choice of title for Norman to release. When i'm settled in my new home Im going to look at getting myself a copy of this to play on my phonograph. Thanlks for bringing it to my attention.

S-B-H

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Hey...wasn't there someone on one of the old boards that claimed to have several copies of this cylinder?

;)

Sorry...I couldn't resist...(and doubly sorry to the more recent folks who will miss this inside joke).

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Zeppy wrote:Hey...wasn't there someone on one of the old boards that claimed to have several copies of this cylinder?

;)
I nearly said the exact same thing in my post! :lol: Multiple copies apparently - but none of which could ever be found to photograph and prove they existed. Funny that ;)

In fact before that claim i'd never even heard of the title - so perhaps it did serve a useful purpose after all!

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

Wasn't this the last song released on a Diamond Disc? I'm sure I saw a video on Orthosean's facebook of it :)

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Yes you did!

It wasn't the last DD issued, but it was on Edison 52559, recorded March of 1929 and only available for a few months. Not many copies were pressed for sure. I'll get my video up on YouTube and post it here when it's done.

I remember that cylinder story! :D :lol:

Sean

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:
Zeppy wrote:Hey...wasn't there someone on one of the old boards that claimed to have several copies of this cylinder?

;)
I nearly said the exact same thing in my post! :lol: Multiple copies apparently - but none of which could ever be found to photograph and prove they existed. Funny that ;)

In fact before that claim i'd never even heard of the title - so perhaps it did serve a useful purpose after all!
Perhaps he was afraid taking its picture would steal its soul?

I was in the same boat...never heard of the title until that claim....so I guess it wasn't all bad (in addition to providing us years of jokes at his expense).

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Zeppy wrote:
Swing Band Heaven wrote:

;)

Perhaps he was afraid taking its picture would steal its soul?

I was in the same boat...never heard of the title until that claim....so I guess it wasn't all bad (in addition to providing us years of jokes at his expense).
Perhaps you will recall how I was ganged-up upon by all the followers (and multiple identities) of He Who's Name Shall Go Unmentioned when I offered to purchase said copy of 'KCK' when HWNSGU offered one of his 'spare' copies for sale? $1500 as I recall -- a bargain, IMHO! My response to purchase was prompted by HWNSGU loudly opining that the copy of KCK that sold on eBay for $4300 was ridiculous, when out of the other side of his mouth all one heard from him was the greatness of free-market economic policy. Seems to me that eBay is the embodiment of free-market economics, but hey, that's just me. Since the cylinder was never produced, and even when I reduced my offer to just having HWNSGU showing me a photo of the cylinder sitting on the day's newspaper so I could read the date and title, the withering blast I took from the opposition was incredible. I was just calling BS on the Head B-Esser, but one would have thought I insulted Mother Theresa by the trumped-up response. One of the reasons I still don't care much for that crowd.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Swing Band Heaven wrote:In fact before that claim i'd never even heard of the title - so perhaps it did serve a useful purpose after all!
Sadly, this is the only reason I’m familiar with this title, also.
Valecnik wrote:Now our own "WDC" & Berlin Phono works are offering a fantastic reissue from an original mold and at a price many of us can manage.
But just in case anyone reading this thread aren’t familiar with either Norman (WDC)’s Cylinder Archive or his endeavors with the Berlin Phonograph Works, I encourage them to check out both preceding links.

With the prices “Kansas City Kitty” has fetched on eBay, I doubt many people will own a copy of it without efforts like Norman’s cylinder offerings.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.