Kansas City Kitty on Cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Kansas City Kitty on Cylinder

Post by OrthoSean »

Just uploaded the video to YouTube...still perfecting my skills with the iPhone 4, but it works!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1SdLefg60[/youtube]

Sean

EDIT: I just compared the two. Edison was known was issuing more than one take of his recordings. These are quite obviously different takes!

Flvice
Victor O

Post by Flvice »

Great tune.. Thanks for posting it... Is the DD version as hard to find as the cylinder???

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The cylinder is certainly rare and so is the DD, but I'd say the DD is easier to find, but it isn't cheap by any means! I paid a premium price for my copy, but it was worth every cent to me! :D

Sean

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Sean,
Thanks for posting KCK! I really enjoyed seeing and hearing
a very late 20's DD.
Jeff

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

You're welcome, Jeff!

I have lots more from my dealer stock that I plan on posting soon now that I can with my my NOS DD reproducer!

Best / Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:The cylinder is certainly rare and so is the DD, but I'd say the DD is easier to find, but it isn't cheap by any means! I paid a premium price for my copy, but it was worth every cent to me! :D

Sean
I'd agree that the DD might be easier to find relative to the cylinder version but still very rare. It's certainly worth paying a premium! How about the other side?

And... just when you think you've got it all, you note that there are multiple takes out there too!

Looking forward to future postings.
:)

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

OrthoSean wrote: I plan on posting soon now that I can with my my NOS DD reproducer!
Yes, you REALLY wouldn't want to play a rare DD like that with a reproducer that would have any chance of being dodgy! An excellent post BTW.

S-B-H

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

and even then I was skeptical! I played a pile of junk Hawaiian DDs just to be sure the stylus was perfect after rebuilding and playing anything good. Those Hawaiian DDs are good for something after all! :P

Sean

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

Nice upload Sean! The iphone has a nifty camera and mic on it, HD video and it's captured the warm sound of your DD player really well :)

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Valecnik wrote:
OrthoSean wrote:The cylinder is certainly rare and so is the DD, but I'd say the DD is easier to find, but it isn't cheap by any means! I paid a premium price for my copy, but it was worth every cent to me! :D

Sean
I'd agree that the DD might be easier to find relative to the cylinder version but still very rare. It's certainly worth paying a premium! How about the other side?

And... just when you think you've got it all, you note that there are multiple takes out there too!

Looking forward to future postings.
:)
I just posted the "flip" in the music section here!

Sean