Gutted HMV 202 - probably won't find parts...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ampico66
Victor I

Gutted HMV 202 - probably won't find parts...

Post by Ampico66 »

I don't imagine getting parts for a gutted HMV 202 would be very easy here in the middle of the US would it? The horn is gone, as well as the motor board and the rest of it. It was "liquor cabinetized"

Damon

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Gutted HMV 202 - probably won't find parts...

Post by Steve »

No! And it would be no easier in the UK either! My advice would be to leave it well alone. Consider this, if you will, recently an empty 202 cabinet failed to sell for £450 in the UK. And this was a GOOD condition cabinet for a machine that still sells for anything up to £6000 when complete!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I have to agree with Steve. I seriously doubt you'd find a 202/203 horn anywhere in the world.
May others have been searching for years, but failed to find even a hint of one.
The smaller horns occasionally surface, but I think the problem with the large horn is size and weight.
Being a bigger horn than the 10-50, and being made of lead plated double walled sheet metal, they were probably just way too bulky and heavy for most people to leave hanging around in their shed for 50 yrs taking up space.
We're also talking about a machine that less than 1000 were made, so numbers aren't on your side either.

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

gramophoneshane wrote: less than 1000 were made, so numbers aren't on your side either.
I didn't realize there were so few 202s. What a pity any were broken up.

I've often wondered how many 163s were made...