re-57 value?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

re-57 value?

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Hi,
I have an Re-57 that has new caps and has been worked on, the speaker and amp are in good condition, just needs the pickup repaired. The cabinet is in real nice shape. How much is something like this worth? (I don't have any pictures at the moment but if some are required I can get them.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: re-57 value?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’d say it’s worth a good $500 if it’s repaired maybe more since it’s an acetate disc cutter. (Im getting my acetate disc cutter restored and it probably doesn’t look nearly as nice as your RCA.) Personally I would say “it’s worth as much as you think it is.”

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

yeah. I'm not sure sure whether to list it here on the forum, or on ebay.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I had one in working condition and it was really hard to sell. I sold it about 15 years ago when prices were high and only got about $200 for it. Even if someone on Ebay wants it, they change their mind when you tell them the shipping price. if it's for sale for local pick up only, you won't sell either unless you are very lucky. Prices are seriously down right now. Spoken from experience.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I read the discs these early RCA-Victors recorded on mention an 8 mil stylus to play them back properly? Did these machines record on discs differently than later 1940s acetate recorders?

This video has someone playing a record recorded on these early RCA-Victor machines and it sounds like a Pathé or Diamond disc played on a modern turntable. I’m guessing the early 1930s home recordings were hill and dale?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zImb7i45aEg

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

The recording discs were "Pre-grooved" to guide the recording stylus. To record on one of these you will be limited to unused old stock. I'd probably be more interested in it as a player than a recorder.

Martin

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

I think Martin makes a good point. The recording discs for the 1931 period are very difficult to find, almost non-existent. Then, there is the next element needed, the cutting needles. They were special needles with a 3 mil tip, not to be used for playback. As Martin says, the discs were pre-cut, with a shallow guide groove, in a material similar to celluloid. The recording needle pushed the material aside instead of engraving. Typically, the volume was not great, nor was the fidelity. Voices recorded best. Below is a sample record and a package of recording needles. These were used on most RE and RAE models of 1931-1933.

As to value, in my opinion, a nice condition and working sample would be valued by me at about $350.

Cheers, Russie
Attachments
RE record.jpeg