More Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bobm90
Victor Jr

More Help

Post by Bobm90 »

Hi everyone,
Here I am again looking for an answer to another one of my questions, I know I can ask it here and you guys will know the answer. I couldn't find an answer to this in any one of the books I own, so here goes. There is a screw or sometimes a nut on the motor board of some of my Victor 78 RPM players, being the coward that I am I am afraid to remove it, is it a lubrication point or an adjustment of some type? I will try to post a picture of it on here, if it is for lubrication what does it lube and what do I put in there, the picture is from a V V-one five and is a recessed screw. Thanks in advance for any information you can supply.
Bob
IMG_2261.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: More Help

Post by Jerry B. »

If it were mine I would remove the three screws holding the motor and remove the motor. This would give you an opportunity to replace the hard rubber washers with something softer. It would also allow you to see that the screw in question goes to on the motor side. All this should be easy with no real risk. Please report back!

Jerry B.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I am assuming that this is the screw you mean (see arrow). I'm not sure what it does, but as Jerry suggested, remove the motor screws and see what it does. This is not rocket science... nothing to be afraid of...
Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 10.18.34 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

I don't own a 1-5, in fact, I've never seen one. However, after doing some reading in "The Victor Data Book", it would seem that models 1-1 thru 1-6 may likely have used the same motor. I do own a 1-1, and on mine the screw you're referring to holds the spring barrel arbor in place. There's another one on the bottom side plate for the other end. Hope this helps.

Steve

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

My guess is it was made that way to allow the mainspring to be removed without removing the entire motor from the top board?

Bobm90
Victor Jr

Post by Bobm90 »

I want to say thank you to all that have responded. I took the motor off of the board and examined the screw location. Chester is correct there is another similar screw on the opposite end of the spring barrel shaft. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as removing the motor from the board is an easy procedure so a "shortcut" like this seems silly, but we are talking about early engineering here and it must have made sense to someone. I did find that the spring is still good although the winding handle connection point is broken, that could be repaired or replaced I guess and everything else seems to work but I bought this for parts, which I may never use, and I may put it up for sale at some point. Thanks, everyone for the input.
Bob