Silvertone restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Silvertone restoration

Post by dzavracky »

A guy message me and said he had a silvertone he wanted restored. I didn’t get any pics of it before I went to pick it up.... I wish I did :? :shock: This phonograph has a lot of sentimental value to him... so he wants me to fully restore it.

Problem one: where do I get new sheets of veneer? I need to re-veneer the entire cabinet.

Problem two: the last thing I ever expected to see on this machine was a panatrope reproducer..... the tracking is actually not too far off... how hard will it be to find a new tone arm and reproducer?

Problem three: how do I fix the carvings?

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I am not really looking forward to this one. I’m going to have to carefully disassemble the whole cabinet...the entire bottom is falling off.

Cheers

David
Attachments
A40DE25B-315B-474C-B8ED-8625F6B79D3E.png
8F0BC009-FABF-4DD5-9C71-D9D6FBC9C4EF.png
3E4C8950-A6AC-45F2-8101-52BC6C05A6E2.png
7353E569-7881-43DA-8AAE-F78410408E32.png
B0581620-538F-485F-A877-3D0BA288BE10.png
C4E8F217-38D9-4C69-B408-36A2E29D2DB5.png
65ABD969-57E4-4D91-96C0-D9A30B2F0B2A.png
2425B0F8-65C2-4D88-A6BD-37405E67BB74.png
D3AE5310-2FE7-4553-96AA-8D9747B19AE0.png

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Silvertone restoration

Post by drh »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:37 pm A guy message me and said he had a silvertone he wanted restored. I didn’t get any pics of it before I went to pick it up.... I wish I did :? :shock: This phonograph has a lot of sentimental value to him... so he wants me to fully restore it.

Problem one: where do I get new sheets of veneer? I need to re-veneer the entire cabinet.

Problem two: the last thing I ever expected to see on this machine was a panatrope reproducer..... the tracking is actually not too far off... how hard will it be to find a new tone arm and reproducer?

Problem three: how do I fix the carvings?

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I am not really looking forward to this one. I’m going to have to carefully disassemble the whole cabinet...the entire bottom is falling off.

Cheers

David
Wow--I'd suggest you submit those photos to the dictionary people; one would be great as an illustration for "basket case."

First thing I'd do would be consult with the owner about that tonearm and reproducer. Explain that they are not original, but see if they should be preserved anyhow. This machine is of sentimental value, and it may be that the owner would prefer to preserve it "just the way I remember it, as Uncle Dudley had it in his house when I was a child. He mounted that new tonearm after winning it in a poker game with the Pope in Oshkosh, and he was very proud of it, and I want to keep it that way." That sort of thing.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I see Silvertone tonearms and reproducers for sale on various sites all the time, for instance: https://www.phonographs.org/?s=Silverto ... pe=product
Probably, some members on this site have some for sale. You could post a wanted ad in Yankee Trader.

OrthoFan

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I do understand sentimental value, but clearly this example is not worth the time and money required to restore. Your friend can find the same model for less than $100. On Facebook or Craigslist. Save some parts for use in a working example. Just my 2 cents.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

David, before going down this rabbit hole, you need to establish UP FRONT, the amount of money he is willing to pay to get this restored AND the level of restoration he expects you to provide. He may be thinking you can get this done for $100 or some other unrealistic figure.

Realistically, this machine is worth very little in the condition it is in and even restored it is worth very little. I can see mountains of work involved and a restoration cost of way more than the machine is worth. I wouldn't attempt it for less than $1,000 (and wouldn't want to do it for that), so if he is comfortable with that cost, go ahead... see how much the "sentimental value" really is.

The carvings are going to be next to impossible to re-create without another cabinet to use as a pattern - too much is missing. The grill needs to be replaced or re-created and the cabinet needs re-veneering... If he wants the correct tonearm & reproducer - more $$$. If the motor needs work... and on and on. If it is sentimental to him, suggest that he keep it the way it is, because obviously no one else gave a @#$% about it.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but sometimes you need to back away from unrealistic projects...
Just my opinion for what it's worth.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Hi everyone,

I agree with what everyone has said so far.

Basically he bought this machine years ago on a trip with some friends, and has memories of driving home with it in the back of their studebaker. I personally think that if it really had this much sentimental value to him he would’ve taken better care of it.

I will call him tomorrow and discuss it with him again. I told him I had a nice floor model that would be cheaper for him to buy then to have me restore this machine. So I’ll keep you guys updated. If he is willing to pay for it then I will go through with it. :?

For what it’s worth.... the panatrope reproducer sounded amazing :lol:

Thanks for all your input.

David

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:34 pm...Basically he bought this machine years ago on a trip with some friends, and has memories of driving home with it in the back of their studebaker. I personally think that if it really had this much sentimental value to him he would’ve taken better care of it. ...
Oh. I was thinking "sentimental value" meant it had come down through the family and had associations with some beloved ancestor now long gone. If it's just something he bought and allowed to go to wrack and ruin, well, I think you nailed it. Not worth the effort. Say, aren't you trying to sell an Amberola 30? Maybe he'd like to get all sentimental about that instead! ;)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

That "nice floor model" you have is the Columbia Nonpareil, right? If this guy can't take care of this machine, he certainly does not need to be entrusted with a harder-to-find early Grafonola.

I suggest helping him find a VV-X or VV-XI, and when everyone's back is turned strip hardware off the Silvertone & see if it will burn.

Charles

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

drh wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 am
dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:34 pm...Basically he bought this machine years ago on a trip with some friends, and has memories of driving home with it in the back of their studebaker. I personally think that if it really had this much sentimental value to him he would’ve taken better care of it. ...
Oh. I was thinking "sentimental value" meant it had come down through the family and had associations with some beloved ancestor now long gone. If it's just something he bought and allowed to go to wrack and ruin, well, I think you nailed it. Not worth the effort. Say, aren't you trying to sell an Amberola 30? Maybe he'd like to get all sentimental about that instead! ;)

Well.....I will have something so share next week about that. I won’t say anymore but I’m super excited ;)

David

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek