Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Silvertone restoration

Post by Lucius1958 »

I think it's time to have a little talk about organ donation... :(

- Bill

Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Perhaps you could purchase another machine with a cabinet in much better condition, and put the guts from his machine into the new cabinet? Or maybe tell him you are willing to overhaul the mechanical stuff, but the woodwork is just too far gone? Yep, that one is gonna be a lot of work.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

UPDATE:

I am going to see if he will agree to swap cabinets for this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... c6b315fe19

This one is a great candidate for a total refinish. I just need to make sure that the parts from his machine will fit inside this cabinet.

David

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Good idea. The 2 machines appear to be fairly similar. His basket case machine will take too many $ and hours to be worthwhile. :coffee:
Best regards ... AZ*

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

dzavracky wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:01 am UPDATE:

I am going to see if he will agree to swap cabinets for this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... c6b315fe19

This one is a great candidate for a total refinish. I just need to make sure that the parts from his machine will fit inside this cabinet.

David
Much nicer cabinet, as well as in better condition!

- Bill

Duchesne
Victor O

Post by Duchesne »

David
I wouldn't tell him. Just pass it on as your own ;) - He sounds like a complete philistine for Pete's sake! He's just gonna put it somewhere damp again (hopefully not but...). But, yeah, if you didn't have the spare cabinet find, then ebay for veneer, and a lot of time spent on the "basket case" cabinet.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Duchesne wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 am

David
I wouldn't tell him. Just pass it on as your own ;) - He sounds like a complete philistine for Pete's sake! He's just gonna put it somewhere damp again (hopefully not but...). But, yeah, if you didn't have the spare cabinet find, then ebay for veneer, and a lot of time spent on the "basket case" cabinet.
"Philistine" or not, deceipt is never the right answer...

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Amen @JerryVan. No place for robbery, deceit, undisclosed secrets etc. in the phonograph hobby--Ripoffs are for "antique dealers."

I would suggest perhaps using a cheaper veneer as a substrate for paint to stick to and then painting the entire cabinet inside & out with a cream-colored oilbase paint, semigloss smooth finish. Then I suggest lacquering over the paint as a clear-coat. This machine is too far gone for a restoration, and paint can be stripped chemically so if 200 years in the future there is ever a rise in the price of Silvertones, it can be restored with mahogany then.

It's not original but then again, mouse nibbles and peeling veneer aren't original either. Methinks the owner needs a primer on antique furniture care before he messes it up again.

Reason for this is that it would be an era-appropriate conversion for the 1930s--I saw a late-Victorian sheet music cabinet the other day that had been painted back during the '30s and '40s.

Tough call on leaving or removing the Brunswick tonearm--It does sound good with that on there.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Great idea... IF he agrees. If not, don't go any further... He would be a complete fool not to agree and no need to deal with fools...
One other thing... where is this located and how are you going to get it to your house?
It says shipping $3.75, but that can't be right - it might mean $375.00 or something else... ask before you buy it or talk to your guy about swapping it out.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 5.57.03 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. The cabinet I posted about is a 30 min drive from my house. I would charge him for the driving time… but it’s still gonna be way cheaper for me to restore this cabinet than fix his.

He hasn’t called me back so I’m just waiting to hear what he wants to do.

David

EDIT: I didn't read the location of the listing correctly. Turns out the cabinet is in Seymour IN not Seymour TN. So I won't be getting this cabinet :roll: :lol:

David