Pathé Rooster Store Display Update

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Pathé Rooster Store Display Update

Post by Curt A »

I received my new rooster today and spent some time cleaning off 100 years of crud and black stuff - it was horribly filthy.

Underneath it all, it is actually in relatively good condition (much better than the first one I restored) and has most of its original paint. What looked like an over paint was totally grime, so it should be a relatively easy restoration. It has a chipped upper beak and a hole in each leg, but otherwise mostly just some chipped off paint. The interesting thing is that it has an original paper label on the bottom with an address on Greenwich Ave. in New York.

I'll take some pics as I proceed and post my progress. The pics below are after cleaning and a close up of the label. If anyone knows anything about this "dealer" or whoever, please let me know.
PR #2.png
PR Label.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Pathé Rooster Store Display Update

Post by Curt A »

The strange looking lines on the bottom near the label is actually horse hair that was mixed with the plaster for strength. This rooster also solved a problem regarding original paint schemes... the reddish orange color on this is original and the full color scheme on my other one is original, also, which indicates that either one is correct.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Nice find.
I could not find any information on the tag, other than the current building was built in 1940.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Thanks for the info. I found that the family lived at this address in 1916, so the current building obviously replaced something older...
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.28.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.26.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.17.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.14.44 PM.png

My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Pathé Rooster Store Display Updated-Update

Post by Curt A »

From info gathered from the 1916 New York City Directory, Louis Biagotti is listed at 45 Greenwich Ave., along with Odostone Mfg. Co. makers of "Plaster Novelties". His brother is also listed as a "plasterer". The word odostone apparently refers to ground sea shells/oyster shells, which was probably used to make plaster and would have been an abundant, free source of material.

So, I believe that I have stumbled upon the mysterious manufacturer of these Pathé store displays...
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 8.07.28 AM.png

My Wife

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That's obscure ... for sure! :coffee:

James.

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

newbie questoin: so Pathé wasnt an import thing it was a US based thing as well, or a US office for a mainly overseas company? I was always confued on this.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Pathé was a French company who started off manufacturing cylinder phonographs and records, and later when they had changed over to make disc Pathephones and disc records, they expanded into USA.
I don't know the ins and outs of it, but the USA side of the business must have been run independently in a similar way to Victor and HMV because machines made in France were completely different to the US machines, as were the record labels and change over and overlap of vertical and lateral recording.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I don't know if Pathé used plaster rooster store displays in Europe, but they probably decided to use them in the U.S. to compete with Victor's store display logo - Nipper...

My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Based on the information for Louis Biagotti and Odostone Mfg. Co., I decided to Make an ad for Odostone from a modified period ad...
Pathe-rooster Odostone-adj-border blk-grn.jpg
Pathe-rooster Odostone-adj-border blk-grn.jpg (100.4 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Pathe-rooster-double-sided-discs copy.png.jpg
Pathe-rooster-double-sided-discs copy.png.jpg (159.49 KiB) Viewed 871 times

My Wife