Edison Home vs. Amberola 1A

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Edison Home vs. Amberola 1A

Post by Inigo »

I didn't need but a few seconds from the three first cylinders to notice the difference...
The 1A sounds more open, but the opera sounds tubby, as if you say a big Oooooh! openly, and then you repeat but cupping your hand in front of your mouth. The one with the cupped hand is the opera.
The difference is subtle, but the Amberola wins.
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

An Amberola 1A seems nice. I guess the only downside to them is you can’t record your own records and they seem to be far harder to acquire than any Home machine. And probably cost more too...which is why I unfortunately don’t own one.
epigramophone wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:27 am A Triumph with a Diamond B and a Music Master horn would probably sound as good as an Opera.
Now here’s a setup that’s within my reach! ;)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 am I guess the only downside to them is you can’t record your own records
Actually you can record on a 1a, 1b or Opera using the recording attachment below.
If I remember correctly one was sold here in the Yankee Traders section only a couple months ago.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210607-193621~2.png
Screenshot_20210607-193621~2.png (43.29 KiB) Viewed 255 times

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:42 am
AmberolaAndy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 am I guess the only downside to them is you can’t record your own records
Actually you can record on a 1a, 1b or Opera using the recording attachment below.
If I remember correctly one was sold here in the Yankee Traders section only a couple months ago.
Well. I guess the only thing that’s stopping me is my budget, The more scarce nature of the machines, and of course my family and SPACE in the house!