Putting belt back on my Triumph E

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Putting belt back on my Triumph E

Post by edisonplayer »

Last night I took the belt off my Triumph E because it was saturated with oil.I tried this morning to put it back on but it kept getting twisted. Perhaps it was due to the humidity. Would it be better to put a new belt on than trying to put the old one back on?edisonplayer.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Putting belt back on my Triumph E

Post by FellowCollector »

Humidity would have nothing to do with a twisted phonograph belt. If the belt is saturated with oil it is best to replace it. Presuming you're familiar with making up a belt for the Triumph you'll be fine. Just assure that the belt is not twisted in its path around the pulleys.

Doug

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

edisonplayer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:42 am Last night I took the belt off my Triumph E because it was saturated with oil.I tried this morning to put it back on but it kept getting twisted. Perhaps it was due to the humidity. Would it be better to put a new belt on than trying to put the old one back on?edisonplayer.
What did you do to it to treat the oil saturation issue?
How exactly is it "twisted"?

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I let it dry out a little overnight and wiped the excess off with a tissue.I did manage to straighten the belt out edisonplayer

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

A Luke warm iron with the belt between blotting paper should draw most of the oil out.
You don't want to crease the belt so you'd just use the tip (point) of the iron, and work your way around on the inside surface.
Be careful at the join too because the heat could soften whatever adhesive was used to glue it together.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

The belt dried out on its own so I carefully put it back on edisonplayer.