Capehart radiogram

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Capehart radiogram

Post by nostalgia »

Does someone know this machine? I normally don't pay much attention to electric radiograms, but this one caught my attention.
I have tried to use Google, but could not find the model. Approximate year of manufacture would be great to know. I read Capehart made decent machines in their eraly production.
It is for sale in my area, or at least approximate area.
Attachments
Capehart 4.jpg
Capehart 4.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Capehart 3.jpg
Capehart 3.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Capehart 2.jpg
Capehart 2.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Capehart 1.jpg
Capehart 1.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Capehart radiogram

Post by Inigo »

Capehart made dazzling record changers that played the two sides of each record in succession, turning the record upside down each time. You can see them in operation in YT videos. Just look for Capehart.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I read with interest and watched some youtube videos with these changers, and also read on the Victrola site that they look for early radiograms from Capehart.
I have no idea about the quality and functions of this model though, since they seem to have deteriorated in quality in the later years of their productions, according to some information found online.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Aha.. I didn't know of that. The ones from the late twenties and thirties are very much sought after. They were the epitome of the luxury for the homes of the wealthy...
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 1&t=123408

ITT seem tio have bought Capehart in the late 1940's, and things changed from there, according to members on the antiqueradio forum.

I have no idea how old the radiogram I posted photos of are though, so it could be interesting to know.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

The changer in the piece is a Capehart Model 10-12, late 30's, early units had a magnetic pickup (horseshoe type) later ones used a "B" series Astatic cartridge.
Philco, Atwater Kent and other manufacturers used this model in their radio/phonos. Was not an intermix changer you had to pre adjust the size of the record you loaded.

Can't say if it is original to the cabinet you show. The cabinet and name sounds/look British, I would guess it might have originally had an early Garrard RC - changer in it.

Chuck

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Chuck has it right. That is the first version of the 10-12 changer, also known as a 10-12A. It was marketed from 1930 to 1932 under the Capehart name. After that, there were several who branded the same changer, GM, Philco, Farnsworth, and others, through 1938 or so. All of them are very reliable and easy to load.
What is unusual is that the radio appears to be a later vintage than the changer. The fact that there is an eye tube places the radio in the later 1930's.