Mechanical Music Extravaganza Fall 2021 Update

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MATTROSE94
Victor O
Personal Text: ARSC Discography Committee Chairperson and early recorded sound enthusiast based in Central NJ

Mechanical Music Extravaganza Fall 2021 Update

Post by MATTROSE94 »

Hi,

I know it is very early to ask, but I was just checking to see if there are any updates regarding the Mechanical Music Extravaganza and if there are any plans to hold the show this fall. I know that New Jersey eliminated all of its COVID indoor and outdoor capacity restrictions and its travel quarantine requirement on June 4, so on paper at least the show can occur as usual. Additionally, several of the dealers and collectors that I became friendly with due to my involvement in the shows have expressed interest in attending again now that the COVID situation is improving a bit in the US. Moreover, several other events such as the Second Saturday LP show have been taking place at the Wayne PAL for several months already.

Despite the fact that the Mechanical Music Extravaganza can theoretically resume, there are many roadblocks that may impact the show's resumption. For example, a substantial percentage of attendees and dealers are from countries such as Canada, the UK, India, Mexico, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Germany, so the ongoing travel bans and challenging COVID situation at the international level (due to the Delta variant) will prevent them from traveling to the US, which may reduce attendance at the show significantly. Additionally, some of the long-standing dealers and attendees from out of state that I am in touch with are unwilling to travel to the show until the COVID situation improves 100%, which will negatively impact attendance as well.

Assuming that the show promoters do not want to hold the show in a similar manner that they occurred in the past due to those logistical issues, could either an expanded parking lot show or maybe a virtual type event occur instead? A virtual type event through Zoom would cost next to nothing, whereas an expanded parking lot show would be fairly cost-effective as well, though the possibility of rain will be an issue.

Victor VI

Re: Mechanical Music Extravaganza Fall 2021 Update

Post by 52089 »

I reached out to Michael D. via email a few days ago for more info but have not heard back. Given the variables you mentioned and the number of months between now and the usual show dates, it would not surprise me if we didn't have more definitive info until the end of the summer.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I checked the Wayne PAL calendar events and the show is not on listed. I would think by then we should be open enough to have a show. So for me my fingers are crossed.

Rich Gordon

MATTROSE94
Victor O
Personal Text: ARSC Discography Committee Chairperson and early recorded sound enthusiast based in Central NJ

Post by MATTROSE94 »

rgordon939 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm I checked the Wayne PAL calendar events and the show is not on listed. I would think by then we should be open enough to have a show. So for me my fingers are crossed.

Rich Gordon
I agree. I know that several other record and phonograph shows such as the APS show in California and the Allentown 78 show are scheduled for the late Summer/early Fall period, so the country should largely be opened up by then barring a rapid decline in the COVID situation (which is not really that likely at least in the US due to vaccinations and the virus running its course in many areas of the country).