My new addition: the credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: My new addition: the credenza

Post by Inigo »

WHen you investigate the leaks and grease and tight everything here and there, you should find the volume is strong when playing dance band records, Victor orthophonics and so on... Medium steel needles should give a high volume, indeed. I believe many of us use soft steel needles when playing these machines, the volume is much more comfortable this way, but strong anyway. If your credenza doesn't sound loud, investigate it. Maybe an air leak in the sound path, maybe an obstruction in the horn... people used to put things inside the horns, and you'd be surprised how many things can be found in there. Maybe a mice nest, or any other thing. It should sound very loud and powerful with steel needles. The sound must fill the room.
Inigo

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

They are very nice machines. I got mine from Jerry Donnell several years ago. I listen to my Credenza on Sundays edisonplayer.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Jerry is right. If you judge a machine on sheer power, the Cortez is the loudest with its big direct spruce horn. But they can be hard to find compared to a Credenza. The Credenza is an iconic machine and even though I have a 1929 Victrola 8-9 with the big re-entrant metal horn, I wish I still owned a Credenza with its big barrel wooden horn. You have a walnut cabinet which is a little more rare than the mahogany. Great buy!

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Enjoy it! At the moment I have 3 Credenzas and one day might actually line them up to compare them directly.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I have really been enjoying the credenza, it sounds good with anything between acoustics and big band records.

I have been having some issues with the lid though and was wondering if I am just using it wrong. If I close the lid quickly the pistons work as they should (although I hate doing this because I am scared the pistons won't work and I will slam the lid shut :shock: :? ). But if I slowly lower the lid and let go, the lid will just slam shut. :roll:
Granted I haven't cleaned anything on this machine yet.. does the lid only work properly if it is closed quickly?

I definitely agree that the Cortez is louder, but boy does the Credenza have some bass! Hopefully later today I can record a video of it playing and I will post the link here.

Cheers

David

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

There are former discussions in the forum for overhauling these air dashpots of the Credenza lid. Just disassembling, cleaning and revitalizing the leather washers that pump the air, cleaning the small holes for air escape and regreasing properly should make them work as new.
Inigo

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

dzavracky wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 am Thanks everyone for the comments!

I have really been enjoying the credenza, it sounds good with anything between acoustics and big band records.

I have been having some issues with the lid though and was wondering if I am just using it wrong. If I close the lid quickly the pistons work as they should (although I hate doing this because I am scared the pistons won't work and I will slam the lid shut :shock: :? ). But if I slowly lower the lid and let go, the lid will just slam shut. :roll:
Granted I haven't cleaned anything on this machine yet.. does the lid only work properly if it is closed quickly?

I definitely agree that the Cortez is louder, but boy does the Credenza have some bass! Hopefully later today I can record a video of it playing and I will post the link here.

Cheers

David
viewtopic.php?p=290477#p290477
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

fran604g wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm
dzavracky wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:32 am Thanks everyone for the comments!

Cheers

David
viewtopic.php?p=290477#p290477

Thank you :)

David

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Here’s a link to it playing.

https://youtu.be/crooSbfkpG4

David

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Thanks for sharing! I love my Sonora Philharmonic and 8-12, but the Credenzas really sound great with some of the early Orthophonic complete opera and symphonic recordings.

Bill