My new addition: the credenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

My new addition: the credenza

Post by dzavracky »

I had mentioned early this week about doing something with my Amberola 30, so here’s the story.

I’ve wanted to find a credenza ever since I brought the Cortez home. This past week a nice credenza popped up on Facebook and I messaged her. I couldn’t afford to spend money on another machine, and I already made a great trade earlier in the week so I decided to test my luck again. I asked her if she would be interested in another phonograph as a trade, and she said no at first. She was down sizing and needed the space. I told her I had a much smaller one I just finished restoring I would be willing to trade for it. When I sent her the pictures she seemed to really like it because she agreed to the trade. I went with my friend and we took it home in his truck. I traded her my restored Amberola 30 with a few cylinders for the credenza. I was excited to see a bunch of count Basie records in it too ;) I am kind of sad the Amberola is not in my collection anymore; but since an Amberola 30 is much easier to find than a credenza I’m happy with the trade.

The good: the cabinet is in really nice shape, and the motor just needs the usual cleaning. The lid pistons seem to work okay but I haven’t quiet been able to make it work 100% if the time.

The bad: the pot metal reproducer is cracked. But for now I am just using my orthophonic from the 2-55 portable.

I have heard different things about sealing the horns on these machines. Is it necessary?

So here’s some pics.

David
Attachments
49759A8A-1215-4009-B5E2-AAF2808EBFAF.png
68D5CD14-0E59-4275-9087-7671E496CB5F.png
93F32326-C254-44CC-87E2-8B1250036362.png
31A40B9C-28FE-4D5E-9CEC-B22D46097EB9.png
CB7BBD5C-6968-48A5-A2FD-D9375B5F4B74.png
FE8C79DD-7857-4C75-8A75-65778A4B1B9D.png
252A0EBA-A885-4101-BDF6-210A8DADEE73.png
Last edited by dzavracky on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: My new addition: the credenza

Post by Inigo »

Wow! It's nice! And both you glad! Congratulations!
Inigo

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Your credenza looks really great. I use a reproducer from a portable 55 on my 8-10 and it's so loud I generally use bamboo fibre needles. I'm sure that in a large room, a loud tone needle would be perfect and bring the best fidelity with a VE record. I really want a Cortez next, but a nice example doesn't come up often. Congratulations. :mrgreen:
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Nice. Credenzas were available in both mahogany and walnut. From your photos, I believe yours is probably walnut.

I agree with your assessments. Having recently acquired a Cortez, I believe that while it has a nice sound, its bass response is less than the Credenza. The best seat for listening to a Credenza is directly inline with the horn, which is why I have a comfortable chair in the optimum position across the room from it. Enjoy! :clover:
Best regards ... AZ*

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 am I have heard different things about sealing the horns on these machines. Is it necessary?
Like any acoustic machine, leaks between the soundbox and the mouth of the horn can reduce performance, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I suggest that you look for obvious leaks and fix them. One place that caused an issue on my first Credenza was a loose connection between the metal "throat" and the horn. Once I tightened the screw and nut visible in the photo, the leak was gone and performance improved dramatically.
IMG_1709.JPG
Best regards ... AZ*

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Congrats on the Credenza. They are great sounding machines.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

AZ* wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:22 pm
dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 am I have heard different things about sealing the horns on these machines. Is it necessary?
Like any acoustic machine, leaks between the soundbox and the mouth of the horn can reduce performance, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I suggest that you look for obvious leaks and fix them. One place that caused an issue on my first Credenza was a loose connection between the metal "throat" and the horn. Once I tightened the screw and nut visible in the photo, the leak was gone and performance improved dramatically.
IMG_1709.JPG
I will check when I have some time! I sort of expected the credenza to be louder… but I am using medium tone needles. So maybe I should get some loud ones.

David

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Looks like an early 1926 model. (4 doors, self supporting arm, turntable at the center) very nice.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

dzavracky wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 pm
AZ* wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:22 pm
IMG_1709.JPG
I will check when I have some time! I sort of expected the credenza to be louder… but I am using medium tone needles. So maybe I should get some loud ones.

David
If your Cortez and your Credenza are like mine, the Cortez will win out for sheer volume. But, volume isn't everything. The Credenza should have better bass and a more full sound, (in my opinion of course).

You found a very nice example there! So often, the finish on the lid is shot. Mine are walnut as well, which I tend to like a bit better.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Cortez's play acoustic records better than Credenza's do. They are like Swiss Army Knives. A Cortez and a Brunswick with Ultona can play anything well. Two machines that do it all.