A 1917 XVI Victrola in Walnut ready for restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Re: A 1917 XVI Victrola in Walnut ready for restoration

Post by Jonsheff »

AmberolaAndy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:58 pm Jonsheff finds another beautiful top of the line machine! How many XVIs you got now?
I just sold two 16s, have this 1917 (or 1918 by serial number) walnut 16, an 1912 L door 16 and 3 mahogany 17s. My personal machine is a 1918 walnut 17 thats already restored. Restoring walnut is different than mahogany (or oak) and was a learning experience. I use Mohawk NGR medium walnut dye (sprayed on, wiping leaves streaks), no grain filler (grain filler reduces the contrast to much) then sealer and lots of nitro clear coats (Mohawk finishers choice with last coat being Mohawk Bufcote) and sanding with 400 between coats. Oak is by far the easiest to work with.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: A 1917 XVI Victrola in Walnut ready for restoration

Post by AmberolaAndy »

That’s amazing Jon! You’re so lucky to be on the east coast where these machines are probably more frequent. Unfortunately ‘round these parts (this is Edison Diamond disc country) you’re lucky if you even get a XVI. I consider that VV-111 I bought 2 years ago to be a really lucky find. I’m guessing the nicer gold plated hardware machines are probably further into town, but good luck finding anyone that will take me there. 🙄 Without you fine generous folks on the forum and the help you’ve given me over the years I’d go crazy! 😝