Utilizing Original Rear Crane Mounts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Utilizing Original Rear Crane Mounts

Post by MikeB »

I've acquired what is hopefully the last machine on my "bucket list," an Edison Triumph Model A. This is an interesting one. Someone upgraded the machine to 2/4 gearing at some point in the past, and put a horizontal carriage with a Diamond B reproducer on it. The original instructions for the combination attachment were still inside the machine. The cabinet is a very nice original with a near perfect decal. The reproducer is just back from Wyatt and it sounds great. I am hoping that with the proper reproducer reducer ring, I'll be able to play just about any cylinder on this machine and weed out the collection a bit.

It also has these crane mounts on the back. I'd like to utilize them, but all the cranes that I've tried are too short to support a decent-sized horn. The crane would need to be long enough to arch over the body of this large machine and support the horn at the front. Has anyone had any success in using these original rear crane mounts like this on a Triumph? Another option might be to use a cygnet horn, but I don't want to drill more holes in the rear of the cabinet to support a traditional 4-screw cygnet mount. I'd want to try and use the mounts that are already there, or just go with a front-mount crane.

Thanks - Mike
Attachments
IMG_2296.jpg
IMG_2291.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Utilizing Original Rear Crane Mounts

Post by phonogfp »

You have the brackets for a Hawthorne & Sheble No. 4 Horn Crane, which was contemporaneous with your Triumph Model A.

Here's an ad for the H&S No. 4:

George P.
H&S No.4.jpg
H&S No.4.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 379 times

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Thanks, George! I do not own such a crane, but will keep my eyes open for one.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I have bought the top sections at shows in the past. You never know - - good luck!

George P.