Edison Home 1906 Model w/ 2/4 conversion

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pallophotophone
Victor II

Edison Home 1906 Model w/ 2/4 conversion

Post by pallophotophone »

Hi,
I'm restoring an Edison Home - last patent date 1906-s/n 262324- that has been converted to 2/4 minute. Somebody started the conversion but did or could not finish it. It arrived with a cast iron yoke with the 2/4 designation that straddles the left hand casting of the reproducer carrier rod. The little lever that was meant to engage the groove in the feed rate change driven hub was missing. I ordered a replacement lever and screw knowing it was for an Edison Home from George. I own a model E home with the flanged hub. There is no flange that would be used to change feed rate on the machine I'm restoring - just the groove that was meant to engage the lever.
My question is what part or parts of this conversion are wrong? Intuition tells me that something is wrong. The little lever doesn't seem to work well with the rotating components and almost hits parts that I don't believe should be hit. And the little arrow that points to 2 or 4 misses those targets by a country mile. Should it have the hub with the flange instead of the switch with the hub it presently has ?

I want to get this machine back to its owner in first class condition with all of the correct parts. It has a magnificent original finish and almost 100% pinstriping, unrestored Hawthorne and Sheble horn and crane. Wish it was mine- but it isn't. And a nice size collection of cylinders that if all of them are in the condition of the one she brought along for me to use as "test" are completely mold free black wax.
I haven't done this level of restoration for anyone else in a long time so I'm really trying to go first class. Goop did a fine job on the case and lid. The original mandrel/ feed screw is still with the machine and looks as though it was never used. So much of the original gold pinstripe is still around the motor switch lever that I don't think the machine ever saw much use. The speed control thumbscrew is underneath the top plate.

Sorry but I don't presently have a digital camera to take pictures, so hope my description will cut the mustard.

MANY THANKS !!!

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Re: Edison Home 1906 Model w/ 2/4 conversion

Post by FellowCollector »

The mandrel shaft should have 2 grooves on the far left end that the small spring loaded nipple drops into when changing from 2 minute to 4 minute. Your dial is off because the adjustment of the end bearing, driven pulley, 2/4 minute clutch, feed screw and feed screw collar are not adjusted correctly. As you know, the driven pulley has an internal pin that must be tightened securely onto the mandrel shaft in the correct position to secure the driven pulley to the mandrel shaft. The 2/4 minute clutch must then be adjusted so that the action of the internal planetary gear can be engaged/disengaged properly. You might also consider watching this excellent video by OKBridges on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LR5xxupUKs as some of it might be helpful to you. Some of the video is a review to most of us familiar with the 2/4 minute gearing on Edison Homes and Triumphs but, again, some of it may be useful to some and he provides a nice presentation. If you're somehow able to provide pictures or a video of what you have some of us can try to help further. ;)

Doug

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Edison Home 1906 Model w/ 2/4 conversion

Post by pallophotophone »

Thank You, Doug.
I think that I fell into a trap assuming that the way the assembly was assembled before I dismantled it for cleaning was correct.
That video and your description proves that it wasn't installed correctly. And I assumed when I reassembled it and simply got the detent / groove relationship correct, that everything else would fall into place. And that even the 2/4 marking on that casting is not 100% accurate in relationship to the lever/ pointer. And I know that at least no one has drilled fake holes in anything.

I'm sure that I will work it out satisfactorily after spending some time with it. Throw out all the red herrings and start over.

Bob