cylinder recording motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
andyive
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Interested collector

Re: cylinder recording motor

Post by andyive »

For completeness I have added photos of the top and a curious addition on the side. Fast and slow lever on the top is what started the search in Graces catalogue. I could never understand how you could have a fast and slow 1 hour revolution. There is nothing at all on the back of the box.
Attachments
2021-06-25 10.03.13.jpg
2021-06-25 10.03.00.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: cylinder recording motor

Post by gramophoneshane »

I see the two levers at the top are a speed control and a start/stop switch, so the front and back mechanisms don't run independently.
I also see you've got the back board too.
Does it have the same witness marks as the front board?

I think if this were mine, I'd write an email with pictures to the British museum, Harvard and the Smithsonian. They all hold substantial scientific instrument collections, so more than likely one of them can identify exactly what it is.

My advise though would be to include everything at once, so photos of the top, sides, base, back and front, the movement, close ups of all the makers marks, close ups of all the witness marks, and even any screw holes or witness marks on the inside of the cabinet where something may have been removed. I'd also include the dimensions of the cabinet, the handle, and the diameter of any holes such as those for the "wind" key hole.
A copy of the catalogue entry for Hoyer I'd include as well, along with the date it was printed if thats known.

I think it's pretty safe to say it has nothing to do with sound recording, but I'm sure one of the experts at one of those institutions will be able to identify what you have.
I hope when you find out you'll come back and let us know.
Best of luck.