Show us your Fibre Needle Packs!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Show us your Fiber Needle Packs!

Post by Inigo »

But in the envelope, the adaptor depicted looks exactly the same as the one out of the envelope! Do you have one mystery adaptor in the envelope and another one out? I'm missing something? :oops: it's not the same, it has a thumb screw not in the envelope picture...
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

No, the thumb screw you see in the drawing on the Recordavox envelope is the soundbox thumb screw.
The Recordavox adaptor has no thumb screw. It just has a triangular metal tube basically, which the bamboo needle slides into.
That's the reason I've been tempted to open it, to see how this set up holds the needle in the adaptor firmly. Whether the needle has a slight taper and it jams into the adaptor or what I don't know.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I see, and I noticed later that the pictured one wasn't equal to the other... Sorry!
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

No need to apologize.
It took me a couple months to realise they were 2 different adaptors, after feeling the contents of the envelope and shining a torch through it from behind.
It was only after discovering there was no thumbscrew present and they were different sizes did I put the adaptor next to picture and realise they were two totally different manufacturers.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Haha! I used to play this guessing game with my children... I put something into a sack, and give the sack to them to guess what was inside, without peeping into it, using only the tact feeling and imagination, memory... Of course I selected strange things from home, but ones they should know by sight. Was lots of fun!
Inigo

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

And here's a few more.
Attachments
needle1.jpg
needle2.jpg
needle 3.jpg
needle 4.jpg
needle5.jpg
needle6.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

rizbone wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 pm And here's a few more.
I played one of my Grenthorne (sp) needles once. I wonder if they were meant to be used in early tube amplified machines because the audio is very low on a acoustic machine.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I think the mention of "high fidelity recordings" is a pretty good indication these are mean for an electric pickup.
I suspect from you saying they have fairly low volume that they're what was often called "mini thorns", which are about the same gauge as soft tone needles or even thinner.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I wonder whether the museum where I volunteer has any of those "Velvetone" packets: it would certainly make an interesting item for an exhibit...

- Bill

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I love the Polydor fibres.
The container must have cost more to manufacture than the needles.

The "Velvetone" needles I've always found interesting, and I'd love to find some one-day and try one.
No more scratching splitting or harshness.
I know what scratching and harshness are, but what is splitting a reference to in this context?