Rare Edison duplex concert stylus extender, where can I get one?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Thomas1899
Victor Jr
Personal Text: The guy with a dodgy concert phonograph

Rare Edison duplex concert stylus extender, where can I get one?

Post by Thomas1899 »

I’m after one of these for my Edison concert duplex? Should I make one myself or look for a parts vendor?
Attachments
A6502EC5-A0CD-4498-8EF2-5534F7E1D98D.jpeg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Rare Edison duplex concert stylus extender, where can I get one?

Post by JohnM »

That’s going to be a tough one to find. It extends the entire reproducer, not just the stylus (which is a tiny sapphire mounted to a stylus bar on the weight).
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Might be easier to get one of the Edison Concert conversion carriages for playing standard size cylinders. See picture.

Doug
Attachments
edison concert with converted carriage.JPG
edison concert with converted carriage.JPG (89.82 KiB) Viewed 415 times

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

A couple of thoughts. Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do.
I know that the duplex was designed to play both "2 minute" and concert cylinders , but always thought it was sacrilege to convert (on an American machine w/ a single fixed mandrel) a machine that was capable of playing concert type records to being only able to play regular ones as was the case with Edison's Concert Machine. All you'd have is an oversize Triumph or Spring Motor when all is said and done. And there is one less Concert type machine in the world. Presuming you kept all of the original Concert components, which of course you would.
There are so many fine machines that can play the regular cylinders out there already. Be glad you have a Concert Machine !! They aren't that common, and never were.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I never knew such an adaptor existed and I think the chances of finding one is extremely low.
If this were mine, I think I'd attempt to make my own. It should be easy (& cheap) enough to make using the top of a reproducer or recorder with a sleeved tube and thumb screw soldered to the underside.

You might have to experiment with its length a little to get it just right, if nobody can give the correct measurement from an original.
Then you don't need to alter anything on the machine itself, and if you're lucky enough to find an original in the future it's easily replaced.