Victor Victrola VV 4-7

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

Re: Victor Victrola VV 4-7

Post by 52089 »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:08 pm I agree with suggestions for the finish. I'll also suggest getting some fine tipped artist markers from your local art supply store. They are available dozens of slightly varying shades. Pick one that matches the color of your cabinet and use it to color the deeper scratches that go down to the wood. I usually fill the scratch, then quickly wipe the finish with my finger, to blend and wipe away anything that overflows borders of the scratch. I've done this with my Credenza lid prior to the other treatments mentioned above. It can take some time to get all the scratches neatly colored...
If you use Howard Restor-a-finish in the color that matches your wood type, you won't have to use these markers.

Having said that, I do use markers for small jobs, or places where I don't want to use Restor-a-finish like inside lids. As you said, the key is to wipe off immediately after applying the marker, otherwise it's too obvious that you've touched something up.
Last edited by 52089 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

52089 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:19 pm
JerryVan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:08 pm I agree with suggestions for the finish. I'll also suggest getting some fine tipped artist markers from your local art supply store. They are available dozens of slightly varying shades. Pick one that matches the color of your cabinet and use it to color the deeper scratches that go down to the wood. I usually fill the scratch, then quickly wipe the finish with my finger, to blend and wipe away anything that overflows borders of the scratch. I've done this with my Credenza lid prior to the other treatments mentioned above. It can take some time to get all the scratches neatly colored...
If you use Howard Restor-a-finish in the color that matches your wood type, you won't have to use these markers.
I'm sure that's the case. I just started with markers for the scratches, then eventually tried Howard's for the finish in general. Had I thought of Howard's first, I would most likely have discovered that what you say is true. And, even if a scratch or two still shows after Howard's, it's probably still possible to use a marker.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I was using Gojo on a Victor XI and had a little too much on my rag so I used some on the top of the 4-7. The scratches disappeared. I know it's temporary, once that stuff dries the scratches come flooding back. So I hit it with Feed n' Wax two days later and that was a couple of weeks ago. I guess I'm just going to leave it as is. Went on Amazon and bought a bunch of women's scarf things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182 ... =UTF8&th=1

One for each machine and different colors... it was the first time my wife was psyched to shop for stuff I was looking for ;)

So anyway, didn't really need to go all in depth.