Looking for a few tips for this (new to me) VV-XVI

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Looking for a few tips for this (new to me) VV-XVI

Post by Dischoard »

I picked this up in New Hampshire a couple of days ago.

The first issue is obviously the plant-obliterated lid. I'm thinking just a straight up sheet of new veneer. What do you think? Where it isn't wrecked it's peeling up so I could get it off pretty easily. Any folks on here think that it's best to save as much of the original top as possible or just go for one matching piece? I would also love to be pointed to a video of someone going through the process as it will be my first veneer job.

The second issue is in the spring barrel. The PO thinks that a spring broke, I think the spring just slipped off the spring shaft. Problem is there's no obvious way to get into this and I can't find a disassembly video (which means after I figure this out I'm going to have to make one). Am I to assume that I'll need a gear puller to work off that gear on the end? What then? It seems as though there's a trick to this. Do I need to get the back plate off (not pictured in my photo) and disassemble that way?

This is by far the earliest machine I have, each one is new to me and unique to work on. I could see doing this in my retirement!

Thanks for any and all help. Here are some photos. Sadly it came with a chrome Exhibition reproducer (which I've already rebuilt), I'm sure it's not original.
IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Looking for a few tips for this (new to me) VV-XVI

Post by audiophile102 »

Here is some videos I found to be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/chilldude2007/videos. There are a lot of videos about removing veneer on You Tube. It's a fun project, but challenging so take your time. Good luck.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations on an "L" door XVI. It was made at a time that each Victrola model was unique to itself. Yours is a very worthy project. You might check with a local piano shop and ask for the possibility of harvesting some veneer off an old piano. Whatever veneer used, I would replace the entire top. I don't enjoy spring work so I'd send the spring barrels to a repair person and ask that they be repaired, replaced, or service as needed. If the entire motor is shipped, separate the spring barrels from the cast motor frame. A good jolt can cause the weight of the spring barrels to brake the casting. I bet there is someone here on the Forum that would trade your nickel plated Exhibition for a gold one. You might offer to pay postage each way.

Jerry B.

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Jerry B. wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 am Congratulations on an "L" door XVI. It was made at a time that each Victrola model was unique to itself. Yours is a very worthy project. You might check with a local piano shop and ask for the possibility of harvesting some veneer off an old piano. Whatever veneer used, I would replace the entire top. I don't enjoy spring work so I'd send the spring barrels to a repair person and ask that they be repaired, replaced, or service as needed. If the entire motor is shipped, separate the spring barrels from the cast motor frame. A good jolt can cause the weight of the spring barrels to brake the casting. I bet there is someone here on the Forum that would trade your nickel plated Exhibition for a gold one. You might offer to pay postage each way.

Jerry B.
Thanks for the tips! I'm not afraid of spring work and look forward to being able to do it. I'm mostly afraid of veneer work as that is out of my wheel house. I'm not sure how I'd even go about harvesting veneer off an existing thing, is it that easy to remove undamaged?

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

audiophile102 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:17 am Here is some videos I found to be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/chilldude2007/videos. There are a lot of videos about removing veneer on You Tube. It's a fun project, but challenging so take your time. Good luck.
Yeah, I've seen those, they don't tackle this particular configuration of spring barrel. There's no circlip to remove and no main shaft that slides out with just a set screw. This one appears to be a different type of beast. I may just have to dive in and see what I can find. Gear puller is on its way and with no clear way to remove the plate on the other side I may just have to "take a whack" at it...

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

To get to the springs, you need to remove that gear. You will then find a pin through the shaft and that may be your problem. They often break. Drive that pin out and then the shaft will come out.
Dave D

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

To get to the springs, you need to remove that gear. You will then find a pin through the shaft and that may be your problem. They often break. Drive that pin out and then the shaft will come out.
Dave D

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Dave D

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Have you looked at Brett Hurt's videos? (TMF member cheryla)

He has a number of Victor motor videos. This one shows how to assemble the 3 spring motor which may help you figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-LNlDOa_Vk

This one shows using the gear puller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawYy1zsVQs

There are many others that may help.

Good luck.
Best regards ... AZ*

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Do a search for mahogany wood veneer and order it online - easier than looking for some to scavenge. Also, search for "how to" videos about applying veneer.
https://www.rockler.com/allwood-two-ply ... bwQAvD_BwE

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... bqiaiADw23
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife