Victor Type Z (fixer upper)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: Victor Type Z (fixer upper)

Post by travisgreyfox »

Thanks for all the great replies! If anyone is interested in buying it, it will be at an estate sale this coming weekend in the Pittsburgh, PA area. If the owners decided to take a lot less for it maybe I could buy it.

-Travis

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

PeterF wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:55 pm Amongst all the el-cheapo machines, there usually isn’t much to distinguish them or make them very interesting, to me at least.

The Z is an exception because it’s got a feature that I really like: the weird tapered-edge platter and brake that rises up to meet that edge. For some reason I really like that.

It’s a front-mount, it’s cute, and the horn and crank are readily available either as repro (easy) or original ($). It has all the difficult parts present.

I’d have a close look and see what the details look like. If the spring is broken (twist the winding shaft by hand and see what happens) or there are cracks and gouges in the case, etc, you may have some price leverage.

I’d probably point out such things and ask whether the price is flexible, then see what is offered. I’d happily pay $250 for what we see, and $300 is not completely unreasonable if the spring is good and motor (governor weights etc) is complete.
The turntable & brake were also used on the early Vic I, apparently: I wonder if they used the same motor as well?

- Bill

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

If you could get it for a lot less, then it is a decent project. Remember to consider Jerry's comment on the cost of parts needed.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Just wondering if anyone here got this???
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

The person that got it immediately threw it up on eBay. No cleanup or reconfiguration of the incorrect parts, etc.

Seller’s name on eBay includes the word “radio” so likely not as knowledgeable about phonos. But this price realized ($700) is stupidly amazing!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-Z-Phono ... 3653926162

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I guess it shows that there is still a market for basket cases... We don't actually know what the seller paid for it, but he/she at least doubled their money. Eleven bidders and 20 bids... apparently this was a bargain originally.
Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 8.41.56 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Who knows why someone paid $700 for this machine. Perhaps someone had a Z with a busted case or a bad motor and was willing to pay that much for the satisfaction of bringing something back to life. But I've gone to auctions for many, many years. I'm pretty sure what I'm about to write is true for some people. There are those who will pay more at an auction for an object that they can get at their local antique store for a lot less. And for others, a "barn find" is irresistable. They feel the object has integrity, that it hasn't been futzed with because it sat in the barn neglected for many years. They will pay a premium to be the first to own it. Of course they immediately begin restoring the item, that is, removing the very quality which attracted them to the object in the first place. Had the item already been restored,they would not look at it twice. And if they did they would want to get it for far less.