Let's talk Nippers at the Buena Park Expo!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Let's talk Nippers at the Buena Park Expo!

Post by Jerry B. »

I am excited about attending the Buena Park APS Expo in a few weeks. One of the things I'm most anticipating is an informal talk on Nippers. I will be leading the discussion on Nipper history and restoration following the end of sale on Saturday, August 21st. I would encourage anyone to bring a Nipper that might need a simple repair or a complete restoration. If I can't answer your question I will be armed with Joan & Rob Rolfs' excellent Nipper books for an answer. So let's talk Nippers!

Jerry Blais
Attachments
tempImagePLHuhw.gif
981A748F-635B-4670-8DF9-B09B69ECFF7D.jpeg
tempImagez44OKR.gif
tempImageW7H4v1.gif

Django
Victor IV

Re: Let's talk Nippers at the Buena Park Expo!

Post by Django »

I wish that I could be there for your talk. I have restored Two so far, but both involved a lot of trial and error. It would have been nice to learn how you and others had restored Nippers. I am much more comfortable working in metal than in paper mache or wood.

Best of luck with your event.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

My wife and I are making plans to attend but can only stay for part of the day on Saturday (9 AM to Noon). Perhaps a one sheet summary of Nipper history could be prepared.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Hi Jerry, good luck with your presentation, wish I could be there... Maybe you could film it for later reference.

Just curious, what am I looking at in pic #1?

My roosters say "Hi",

Curt
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The top photo #1 is a large paper mâché Nipper that was missing his right rear foot. Photo #3 is the same Nipper after repairs. The large Nippers were sold to retail stores and used as a type of advertising. Nipper found himself outside subject to threats from weather or being climbed on by unsupervised kids and those that survived often have signs of repair and/or several layers of paint.

Jerry B.