My New Columbia 2/4 Minute BG Cylinder Graphophone

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

My New Columbia 2/4 Minute BG Cylinder Graphophone

Post by CDBPDX »

I just brought home a nice Columbia BG cylinder Graphophone with 2/4 minute adapter. Includes the 4 minute Columbia reproducer.

Everything seems to work great, though it needs to be cleaned up, a new belt, a crank, and I need to straighten up the winding shaft. I might install 4 new springs, as well. The original springs run pretty well, but not anywhere near like new. Looking forward to the refurbish!

Alright, melvind kindly/patiently explained to me how to add photos. Thanks!

Cliff
Attachments
ColBG-BF-MandrelShaft-Compare_0001.JPG
ColBG_0005.JPG
ColBG_0003.JPG
ColBG_0002.JPG
ColBG_0001.JPG
Last edited by CDBPDX on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: My New Columbia 2/4 Minute BG Cylinder Graphophone

Post by Jerry B. »

I've always liked the Columbia BG & BGT machines. Like the Columbia BY on the disc side, the BG's cabinetry is understated elegance. The two and four minute gearing is a plus. Congratulations!

Jerry B.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Very nice! :D

- Bill

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I hav always wanted a 2/4 minute BG - the 2/4 minute versions of Columbia machines are extremely hard to find, along with 2/4 minute reproducers (not recommended for wax cylinders) only use celluloid 2/4 minute Indestructible cylinders or Blue Amberol Edisons (not black wax 4 min. Amberol Edisons, either).

I have been fortunate enough to find a BFT, BKT and BE, all in 2/4 minute versions. My BE was a 2 minute machine and I thought I would upgrade it to 2/4 minute, like so many people have done with their Edison machines... Boy, was I wrong... original Edison conversions are hard to find, but Columbia conversions are impossible to find. The only way I managed to do it was a friend told me about a 2/4 minute machine on eBay that I should look at. The machine was a total, rusted, piece of junk that I paid $250 for, just because it had the 2/4 minute attachment. It took days to remove the attachment, because it is an integral part of the feedscrew (not an optional set of gearing, like an Edison) and it was completely rusted to the inside of the feedscrew barrel. I finally managed to get it out in one piece and cleaned it up, then installed it in place of thee 2 min. feedscrew and it works perfectly.

Again, congrats on finding one of the best cylinder machines, which is also esthetically very attractive.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

So, I was winding it up yesterday and a spring broke, in spectacular fashion. It was just about wound all the way up, and BLAM, all 4 springs suddenly unwound. So, I replaced all 4 springs. I was considering that anyway, but fate has a way of making things happen.
I also have a very nice Columbia BF with a beautiful mandrel. I would like the BG to have the beautiful mandrel, maybe they are interchangeable..??

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

When you say "includes the 4 min reproducer" do you mean it's a separate item? I have a 2/4 min BO and a 2/4 min BKT and the same reproducer plays both 2 and 4 minute cylinders - or at least I thought so?

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

Yes, just the one reproducer, it plays both 2 and 4 minute celluloid cylinders.

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

CDBPDX wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm So, I was winding it up yesterday and a spring broke, in spectacular fashion. It was just about wound all the way up, and BLAM, all 4 springs suddenly unwound. So, I replaced all 4 springs. I was considering that anyway, but fate has a way of making things happen.
I also have a very nice Columbia BF with a beautiful mandrel. I would like the BG to have the beautiful mandrel, maybe they are interchangeable..??
The mandrels are not interchangeable. The mandrel shafts are different lengths and different configurations. Bummer...

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210723-113928.png
Screenshot_20210723-113928.png (28.63 KiB) Viewed 595 times

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:41 pm Am I the only one who can't see the pictures?
No, you're not.