Brunswick: Cortez vs. Hampton

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
eighteenbelow
Victor I

Brunswick: Cortez vs. Hampton

Post by eighteenbelow »

I own (and really enjoy) a Cortez, but I recently came across a Hampton, and it looks very similar to my Cortez. Is there any significant difference between these two models besides the cabinets? Are their horns the same size? How about their motors? Were they sold simultaneously? Was one more expensive than the other?

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Brunswick: Cortez vs. Hampton

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

hampton is far smaller

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

Do you mean the horn? As far as their cabinets are concerned, the Hampton is actually a few inches taller and wider than the Cortez. What I don't know is whether or not their horns, motors etc. are the same. I'll be interested to find out.

eighteenbelow
Victor I

Post by eighteenbelow »

I understand Brunswick sometimes used the Hampton cabinet for a Panatrope/Radiola combo, which was a different model, but I'm still wondering about horn size, motor size and comparitive pricing on the regular Hampton vs. the Cortez, if anyone can help.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 pm hampton is far smaller
When I asked about this back in May, you told me the Hampton horn was an inch or so taller.
I'm confused.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49604
Attachments
Screenshot_20210730-170129~2.png
Screenshot_20210730-170129~2.png (46.42 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Screenshot_20210730-170049.png

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

The horn opening on my Hampton measures 14 inches wide by 18.75 inches tall. Horn is oval curved spruce (?) coupled to a blocky neck of milled slabs of maple. I can't help thinking Brunswick used bowling alley scraps, typically maple, and glued them up and routed out a tone channel. I had a junker Cortez some years ago, and gave away the horn, but I can tell you it was larger than the Hampton horn. I'll see if the new owner has it and can supply a measurement. My particular Hampton is clearly factory built from an earlier Ultona-Radiola cabinet, the back has openings for the battery compartments for the earlier Radiola. "Earlier" was only maybe 2 or 3 years previous. I can also tell you that while the Victor Credenza sounds better overall, with some records the Hampton is more pleasant, and it is one I enjoy playing.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

I neglected to respond to some of the other questions. The Hampton is taller than the Cortez, obviously it's up on higher legs, even if the horn is smaller. The Hampton is probably a bit wider, with the 2 record storage drawers set side-by-side either side of the horn, versus one over the other, as in the Cortez. This Hampton has a great 4-spring motor, which I sent out to George Vollema for repair of multiple problems. He sent me back a motor that runs strong and silent, it's a delight to use. I can't answer to the question about which was more expensive in their day, I'd be tempted to think the Hampton was priced a bit lower by virtue of having older cabinets rejiggerd for the newer Panatrope components.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Horn opening on the Cortez that I picked up at the Texas estate sale in May is approximately 23 inches tall and 17 ¾ inches wide.
Best regards ... AZ*

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

To add to Kirkwood's information, here's an image of the Hampton culled from Joe Wakeman's Brunswick book, (posted for information only) which has the cabinet's measurements -- H: 46.5", W: 33", D: 22.25" --
Brunswick Hampton.jpg
The legs account for a quarter of the cabinet's height.

In contrast, the Cortez had relatively short legs -- H: 43", W: 30", D: 22.25" -- and the horn's grille takes up most of the cabinet's front --
Cortez.JPG
OF

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

gramophoneshane wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:03 pm hampton is far smaller
When I asked about this back in May, you told me the Hampton horn was an inch or so taller.
I'm confused.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49604
don't know how I got those numbers back then, but the Cortez horn is probably ¾ the size of the Hampton, maybe ½. It's probably wider, but I don't know about height- mine was missing legs