So what is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
stetam
Victor II

So what is this?

Post by stetam »

Picked this Chippendale up on an online auction for $35. Unfortunately the owners son sanded the outside so staining and refinish is in order. When I looked it over I noticed something I have never seen before. What do I have here?
edison0.jpg
edison0.jpg (32.12 KiB) Viewed 673 times
edison1.JPG
edison2.JPG
edison3.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: So what is this?

Post by JerryVan »

It's an automatic brake.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

OK thanks Jerry! Now it makes sense.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

stetam wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:02 pm Picked this Chippendale up on an online auction for $35. Unfortunately the owners son sanded the outside so staining and refinish is in order. When I looked it over I noticed something I have never seen before. What do I have here?

edison0.jpgedison1.JPGedison2.JPGedison3.JPG
Search the board for "Duncan stop" and you'll find much more info.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

In 2014 I wrote an article for the Antique Phonograph Society explaining new information I uncovered in regard to the origin and use of the Edison Electric Automatic Stop (traditionally referred to as the "Duncan Stop".) My article is the most comprehensive contemporary information available. If you're a member of the APS it can be found under the Articles "Advanced" tab. In March 2016 I added another short article explaining the use and adjustment of the EAS, which can be found under the Articles "Technical Series" tab.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

stetam
Victor II

Post by stetam »

fran604g wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 am In 2014 I wrote an article for the Antique Phonograph Society explaining new information I uncovered in regard to the origin and use of the Edison Electric Automatic Stop (traditionally referred to as the "Duncan Stop".) My article is the most comprehensive contemporary information available. If you're a member of the APS it can be found under the Articles "Advanced" tab. In March 2016 I added another short article explaining the use and adjustment of the EAS, which can be found under the Articles "Technical Series" tab.

Cheers,
Fran
Thanks Fran. I am an APS member so will check it out.

Steve

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

My pleasure Steve, I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.