Edison Standard Model B

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zhenya01
Victor Jr

Re: Edison Standard Model B

Post by zhenya01 »

I saw the video where someone was using water filter O-ring on youtube - not sure how round O-ring was holding so well at 160rpm on a flat wheel?

Either way - I ordered bracket with roller (will reuse my spring) and new leather belt. I'd love this machine to be 'original' :) I can definitely run to the home depot and pick up one of those O-rings while I'm waiting for the parts. I think one of these would fit? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ecopur ... 1001180162

Not sure how much more I can do while waiting for the parts. I am assuming that my speed variations were due to the roller getting stuck? I am also assuming that installing new belt and new roller will fix the issue.

The phonograph was definitely playing too fast before the belt finally gave up - hopefully it is just the speed adjustment issue?

I will double-check all the cleaning / oiling locations. I can also verify that half-nut has proper pressure/position, but do I need to do it at this point?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

zhenya01 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:10 am I saw the video where someone was using water filter O-ring on youtube - not sure how round O-ring was holding so well at 160rpm on a flat wheel?
Honestly I don’t know, but 3 years later the two machines I used those EXACT GE O-rings on still perform just fine. 🤷

I have a hard time making belts and getting them just right, I would cut them too short or just can’t get that bump where the ends meet “flutter free” and it would just drive me nuts!! I can count the times on my finger where I wasted belting material and I had to order more just trying to get it right! 😖

I’ve only got it right once, but that’s probably has to do with the belting material because it was less stiff(?) Than the other stuff.

MisterOpera
Victor O

Post by MisterOpera »

My grandparents had an Amberola 30, Mom said the dealer told them to let it run down completely after playing. They didn't think about the next 100 years, though. When it is run down, the spring makes a relatively sharp bend to the rest of it in the barrel. 95 percent when broken I find it broke at this bend. It's to tight of a bend. I leave mine wound up a few turns, so it starts to distribute the tension. By the way grandma's broke the same place too LOL.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Making the belts is not too hard. Thread the belting material through its entire course, then overlap the end ¼" and mark it with a pen. Take it back off and cut the belt squarely crosswise, but on an angle, with either a razor blade or X-Acto knife. The portion that overlaps should be finished side up and the under side should be feathered, preferably on a belt sander or by hand on sandpaper. The half that is being overlapped should be feathered the same way from the pen mark back to the cut end. The two feathered ends should then be glued together with rubber contact cement (for flexibility) and pressed firmly together. This should result in a seam that is the same thickness as the original belting and slightly flexible. The key is to not make the joint hard by using glue that hardens stiff and also to make the joint the same thickness as the rest of the belt, NOT overlapped and double thickness.

X.png
X.png (43.86 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Last edited by Curt A on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

I understand and appreciate all the advice regarding making my own belt, but being my first phonograph I don't want to risk it or experiment for now, so I ordered my belt (and bracket/roller) from Tim Fabrizio (www.phonophan.com). His town is less than couple hundred miles across the border from me, so I am hoping that USPS/CanadaPost will deliver quickly, and I can get going. In the meantime I'll go learn how to setup the half-nut pressure.

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

OK, this is what I am going to attempt this weekend unless there is a better way:

Half-nut adjustment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNKaHqf ... GeniusHurt

Oiling points (I have done probably 90% of the points, and haven't touched gear teeth yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Hmb0x ... GeniusHurt

After I'll the new idler roller with bracket and new belt, I'll play with speed adjustment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSap-Pe ... GeniusHurt

I love visual aid - videos and photos, they really work for me...

RefSeries
Victor I

Post by RefSeries »

You could try pressing your shaft out of the pulley. After a good soak in penetrating oil (or diesel!) find an old nut which is bigger than the shaft then put that round the stuck shaft head. put the whole thing in a vice and tighten it. My guess is that the shaft will grudgingly come out and you can clean it up, give it a good go with a fine abrasive like brass polish and some oil and it will run like a Swiss watch. Using a vice prevents the other end of the shaft being swollen so it won't go back in the hole. Once it's all free you should be able to put the shaft back in the hole and pop the centre with a punch to fix it to the arm. It might be an idea to use a little bearing seal like Loctite 641 or similar on the end to make sure. Not too much, as you don't want to stick the pulley again!

Good luck

Keith

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

RefSeries wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:16 pm You could try pressing your shaft out of the pulley. After a good soak in penetrating oil (or diesel!) find an old nut which is bigger than the shaft then put that round the stuck shaft head. put the whole thing in a vice and tighten it. My guess is that the shaft will grudgingly come out and you can clean it up, give it a good go with a fine abrasive like brass polish and some oil and it will run like a Swiss watch. Using a vice prevents the other end of the shaft being swollen so it won't go back in the hole. Once it's all free you should be able to put the shaft back in the hole and pop the centre with a punch to fix it to the arm. It might be an idea to use a little bearing seal like Loctite 641 or similar on the end to make sure. Not too much, as you don't want to stick the pulley again!

Good luck

Keith
Thank you for the advice, Keith. I'll give it a try, but I already bought the new bracket. The damn thing was across the border from me, but USPS took it all the way to NY City to international distribution centre...

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

Oh no.. received my new bracket (excellent!) and belt..... which I have to put together myself. My understanding is that it is not a good idea to glue it, so I am going to try and sew it together after determining the required length... My guess is that the thread should be polyester or nylon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVrVkh ... GeniusHurt

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

zhenya01 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:42 pm Oh no.. received my new bracket (excellent!) and belt..... which I have to put together myself. My understanding is that it is not a good idea to glue it, so I am going to try and sew it together after determining the required length... My guess is that the thread should be polyester or nylon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVrVkh ... GeniusHurt
Wood glue does it; I take a razor-blade & shave the belt at a shallow angle to look like this.
__________________ ________________
____________/ __________________

Pardon my non-slanty slant there. The angle is quite shallow.

I use carpenter's glue (wood glue, white glue) to stick the cut surfaces together & put the belt on with the shiny side out so the fuzzy side will grip the pulley.