Edison Standard Model B

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
zhenya01
Victor Jr

Edison Standard Model B

Post by zhenya01 »

Hi all, I finally got to my Edison Standard Model B that I got a year ago.

Last Christmas I had Steve Medved from Florida rebuild the Type C reproducer, so that part is done.
I pulled the mechanism with bedplate out of the cabinet. It is pretty amazing, no rust, all oiled inside, and some dust bunnies.
There are no worn or damaged gears, belt feels to be in good condition.

The top part of mechanism definitely needs cleaning, polishing and oiling.

I have been reading instructions that Steve sent me, and Eric Reiss's book all evening yesterday to figure out what to do now. Also just started reading articles on antiquephono website, and will take a look at available stickies on this forum.

I'm a total newbie to crank phonographs, so any advice is more than welcome.
20210827_164902.jpg
20210827_162542.jpg

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Edison Standard Model B

Post by AZ* »

Welcome to the party, pal!
Welcome.jpg
Welcome.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Seriously, however, you have come to the right place. :clover:
Best regards ... AZ*

Burt68
Victor Jr

Post by Burt68 »

As another newbie, I have a question. When you’re not using the unit, do you leave the spring mostly wound or let most all the tension out?

Are there any other tips to minimize wear and tear?

My unit seems to do better if I exercise it every few days.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Welcome to the forum!

My advice for the top works is to make sure that the carriage can slide on that rod as freely as possible. If you haven't taken apart of one these before I would definitely recommend taking good pictures of it before hand so you know exactly how it goes back together.

Good luck!

David

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Burt68 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm As another newbie, I have a question. When you’re not using the unit, do you leave the spring mostly wound or let most all the tension out?

Are there any other tips to minimize wear and tear?

My unit seems to do better if I exercise it every few days.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43456&hilit=leave

Hope this helps!

David

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Welcome...
Your machine looks to be in good condition, but the gears look dry. Instead of oil, use a good brand of automotive grease on them, synthetic is fine. Get it running as smooth as possible and if it makes any clunking noise while running, the springs will need greasing as well. Before you attempt that, read tips on the forum and ask for help, since working on the springs can be dangerous. Don't keep your machine completely wound up when not in use, but don't let it run totally down either, as it may cause the springs to unhitch from the main drive shaft. Good luck with your project.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

Curt A wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:47 pm Welcome...
Your machine looks to be in good condition, but the gears look dry. Instead of oil, use a good brand of automotive grease on them, synthetic is fine. Get it running as smooth as possible and if it makes any clunking noise while running, the springs will need greasing as well. Before you attempt that, read tips on the forum and ask for help, since working on the springs can be dangerous. Don't keep your machine completely wound up when not in use, but don't let it run totally down either, as it may cause the springs to unhitch from the main drive shaft. Good luck with your project.
Thank you for the detailed advice. Do I clean the gears before lubing them? They look clean and as you said, quite dry.
I assume, lube on the teeth, and light oil on the shafts/axles? That's what I did with my jukeboxes so far.
The spring is what scares me the most. I have read quite a bit about unwinding and lubing it, and it does feel intimidating.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Welcome! Welcome! Nice “banner B” there from either 1905 to mid 1906!

zhenya01
Victor Jr

Post by zhenya01 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but the smaller wheel that provides pressure against the belt (on the left in photo) should be rotating freely? Mine is not moving at all.
20210906_202021.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

zhenya01 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:24 pm Correct me if I am wrong, but the smaller wheel that provides pressure against the belt (on the left in photo) should be rotating freely? Mine is not moving at all.

20210906_202021.jpg
The tension idler wheel should indeed move freely: try some penetrating oil in there.

- Bill