Are we fulfilling our own prophecy?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Burt68
Victor Jr

Re: Are we fulfilling our own prophecy?

Post by Burt68 »

Same thing happening in model trains and vintage cars. People aging out and heirs dumping on the market. Post WWII trains are worth more than many pre War because Boomers want to reclaim their youth. True for muscle cars. Model Ts and As not appreciating.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

In my experience, most antiques and collectibles go in cycles. Here in England, "brown" furniture has been disregarded as "old fashioned" for quite a few years, but now, speaking to furniture dealers, it appears to be making a comeback. One of the things I collect are Royal Doulton figurines, but (fortunately for me!) the bottom has completely fallen out of the market. Examples that I paid £80-90 for a few years ago are now offered on ebay for around the £30 mark. Some hopeful souls are still asking top dollar for common figurines, but with, I note, little success! On the other hand, portable gramophones here are making ridiculous prices, with HMV 101 and 102s in black cases, surely two of the most common machines ever made, actually being sold for over £300! Cabinet machines are very slow to move though, maybe because of their size, and in the majority of cases, being of very inferior quality. (Think plywood, nails, and thick, gooey brown varnish!).

Barry

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Burt68 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 am Same thing happening in model trains and vintage cars. People aging out and heirs dumping on the market. Post WWII trains are worth more than many pre War because Boomers want to reclaim their youth. True for muscle cars. Model Ts and As not appreciating.
for some of us, the car thing is the best thing ever. You can pay 8,000 for a NICE prewar car, and I do mean one that is fairly high end, whereas a common '50s car, if recognizable, can easily bring in 40 or 50 thousand. I'm certainly looking forward to when I start collecting, as prewar cars are just so abundant these days.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

and, also, a note on the phonographs; I'm seeing a lot of projects (at, well, fairly low prices) just not sell. I think lot of new collectors just don't have interest in restoring their own machines (or paying extra for a nice restored machine) leading to a lot of the unrestored machines that are in good condition selling quicker, and leaving the market with a bunch of the other two categories remaining (although primarily the projects).

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Django wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 am I reduced it to $375.00, and couldn’t sell it, so I sold the original, Brass reproducer on eBay for $580.00
I saw the for sale posts. Crazy there was a time when people wanted these Credenza's. That does seem like a high price for a reproducer. May I ask if they were overseas bidders? There is a reproducer on e-Bay right now for $330. It may have some paint issues but the gold looks very good.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Skihawx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 pm
Django wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 am I reduced it to $375.00, and couldn’t sell it, so I sold the original, Brass reproducer on eBay for $580.00
I saw the for sale posts. Crazy there was a time when people wanted these Credenza's. That does seem like a high price for a reproducer. May I ask if they were overseas bidders? There is a reproducer on e-Bay right now for $330. It may have some paint issues but the gold looks very good.
another issue is supply and demand in areas. For instance; demand for a nice machine in my area (MN) is fairly high but most of those nice machines didnt sell around here

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

It's simply supply and demand.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III

Garret wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:11 am It's simply supply and demand.
I think the thing about Credenzas is they're A. common enough so that you could get one from a non-collector for cheaper, B. non neccesarily high end ( a debate for another day) and C. REALLY REALLY BIG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Skihawx wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:41 pm
This was my eBay auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324744322845

The reproducer was Brass, (not pot metal). I checked the completed listings to see what they were selling for, then offered mine starting at $575.00 with a best offer. The buyer offered $580.00 and was happy to get it. My price was below what others had sold for.
Attachments
51F66ED6-6272-46F8-92FD-A6E1B39D6838.jpeg
51F66ED6-6272-46F8-92FD-A6E1B39D6838.jpeg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 884 times

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I knew it was brass, I was just wondering if it was an overseas buyer.