Anyone recognize this Columbia?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Anyone recognize this Columbia?

Post by jboger »

Looks like mahogany. A beauty.

I found the photographs in a box lot of paper goods all phonograph related. There were also some needles that were sold by a shop in Jericho, LI, NY. Some of this was nostalgic for Forum members. And I gave some of the needles away.

These photos date from the later Seventies, possibly very early Eighties. Nice looking machine. Does anyone recognize it? Are its whereabouts now known?

If better photos are required, I can take and upload them.

John
Attachments
IMG_1989.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Anyone recognize this Columbia?

Post by JerryVan »

BGT

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"Does anyone recognize it? Are its whereabouts now known?"

Is Jerry's I.D. (machine type-BGT) what you are looking for, or are you hoping to find the "exact" machine in the pictures? If so, why?

If you are trying to locate this exact machine, what else do you know about it? Who owned it when the pictures were taken, does the family still have it, was it sold at auction (when/where)? Otherwise, any BGT in any collection could be it, or maybe it doesn't exist anymore...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

HELLO... Anybody home??? :? :roll:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

The items I found in a box lot were a trip down memory lane for some people on the Forum. They responded to pictures of the items I found. I was curious if this particular machine in mahogany--which tends to be rare--might be remembered by some of the "old timers" here and evoke a memory. But I guess not. That's all, Curt, nothing else.

drboruff
Victor O

Post by drboruff »

John,
The BGT in your photo is interesting in that case is backwards, with the award decal forward facing. There was a thread several years ago here on TMF discussing the backwards BG, and I guess a few have surfaced. The speculation was it was possibly a special order by dealers for a window display. While this makes sense for a BG it would not make sense for a BGT. Maybe the back bracket and tone arm were added later?? Regardless, there are not likely many backwards facing BGTs around, so maybe it is still in a collection and will be recognized by a forum member.
David

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Thank you. The photos date from the late 70s to early 80's. At the auction were two machines, a Columbia AT and an Edison, plus a lot of cylinders. I bought the AT and a box lot of paper goods that included these photos and photos of another machine. It looks like someone had become interested in the old machines sometime in the 70s, bought a couple of machines, some cylinders, books, etc. then maybe lost interest. Any way it would have been fun if someone had recognized this machine from the photos, but perhaps it's too generic for that.

John

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

drboruff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm John,
The BGT in your photo is interesting in that case is backwards, with the award decal forward facing. There was a thread several years ago here on TMF discussing the backwards BG, and I guess a few have surfaced. The speculation was it was possibly a special order by dealers for a window display. While this makes sense for a BG it would not make sense for a BGT. Maybe the back bracket and tone arm were added later?? Regardless, there are not likely many backwards facing BGTs around, so maybe it is still in a collection and will be recognized by a forum member.
David
FWIW, I have a backwards BE. Serial number 75.