Help with horn ID

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
randymullx
Victor O

Help with horn ID

Post by randymullx »

Does anyone have info on who might have been the manufacturer of this horn. It looks like a Victor, came on a Victor but probably is not a Victor ;) The horn is 20-½" long and the bell diameter is just a shade over 13-⅜". The Victor data book gives the correct bell diameter for a Victor horn as 13-¾" plus there is no decal but there is a cleat to lock it into the elbow. It came to me on a fire damaged Vic II, Serial 35782B so it is very unlikely to have been the original for this machine.
Really just curious as to where the horn may have originated.

Thanks,
Randy
Attachments
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG
IMG_4704.JPG

JeffR1
Victor III

Re: Help with horn ID

Post by JeffR1 »

My horn on my Victor IV looks like that but is dimensionally smaller, at 16-¾ inches long, and the bell is 12-⅜.
I measured the length buy placing the bell on the floor, resting the end of the measuring tape on the floor and reading the tape to the edge of the horn.

By guess would be a manufacturer competing with Victor, hence the slightly larger size and no decal.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Re: Help with horn ID

Post by Ripduf1 »

I believe it is a rear mount Talk-o-phone horn. I have had only a couple in here over the years. I am not scholarly on the Talk-o-phone product line or dates of manufacture, but others collectors are invited to chime in. The horn is virtually identical to the 13 ¾ Victor except for the decal. They are nicely made horns.

John
Horns rolled and straightened