Fireside B Finish

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Fireside B Finish

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

So I bought this Fireside B a few months back, and something has always seemed a little off about this color of finish. It was sold to me as restored and refinished (hence no logo). Is it supposed to be darker, or was this light color really an option for these?
Attachments
sorry about the bad lighting.
sorry about the bad lighting.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Fireside B Finish

Post by gramophoneshane »

I typed "Edison fireside B" into Google bar then hit images, and literally dozens of them came up, and they seem to range from quite pale to the darker antique oak finish you normally find on the earlier B, C and D series machine.
It not always easy to tell which are new or original finishes, and the lighting can dramatically alter what you see on a screen and how it looks in person.
Also, how and where a machine has been stored can change the colour of an original finish so you'll find totally original machines in a variety of different colours.

To me, you machine looks a bit more orange than it should be, but is that colour on the screen an accurate representation of how it looks in person?

If you do an image search, you'll see quite a few exactly the same as yours, but there's lots that look more yellow, and also more brown,.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: Fireside B Finish

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

it's a little orange cause of the lighting.