Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: See John Cougar Get Murdered by a Crank Phonograph

Post by Inigo »

A perfect recreation :D :D
Inigo

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

bearcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am Really this is a positive sign for our hobby...This guy knows nothing about phonographs, but is obviously enamored by this unknown thing...
Yes. I agree entirely.

Are we forgetting that people do not spring into existence with a full understanding of how to operate a windup record player?

The comment he made, "I wonder if this thing had a special record," is pretty good deduction. He's playing a cheap thriftstore record probably just to see if it works. A lot of people I've met don't realize that 78s are even still used, so they don't think to look up the information about them, experiment with old records, or even consider a phonograph as viable fun.

Besides, we've no need to be trashing people here--the forum here is the face of the hobby for new would-be collectors.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I’d say this video “Hurts so Bad!” Haha gottem! 😎
Attachments
B93D55FA-59FF-44EE-94B7-633BF708D240.gif
B93D55FA-59FF-44EE-94B7-633BF708D240.gif (771.61 KiB) Viewed 460 times

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:45 am
bearcat wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am Really this is a positive sign for our hobby...This guy knows nothing about phonographs, but is obviously enamored by this unknown thing...
Yes. I agree entirely.

Are we forgetting that people do not spring into existence with a full understanding of how to operate a windup record player?

The comment he made, "I wonder if this thing had a special record," is pretty good deduction. He's playing a cheap thriftstore record probably just to see if it works. A lot of people I've met don't realize that 78s are even still used, so they don't think to look up the information about them, experiment with old records, or even consider a phonograph as viable fun.

Besides, we've no need to be trashing people here--the forum here is the face of the hobby for new would-be collectors.
Don't make excuses for him, surely he knew that the vinyl record was going to play too fast when the turntable was spinning, I think he made an attempt to slow it down, but I don't think he got it slow enough.
Even if he know nothing about 78 RPM records, I think he would have enough sense not to drop that heavy reproducer with that steel spike onto a vinyl record, this is where the guys brain is broken.
Surely he must have had a proper turntable some time in his life to realize that he would damage the vinyl with that spike needle ?

Yes, it has special record, but it's obvious that his John Cougar record isn't it.

And really, who goes through life not watching an old movie or a Bugs Bunny cartoon not realizing what a wind up phonograph is ?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I don't think anyone is intentionally "trashing him", he managed to do that himself... If I don't know about something or how to use a tool or any other item, what is the first thing I do? RESEARCH... BEFORE doing anything...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife