Victor Talking Machine VV IX and info on the restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Victor Talking Machine VV IX and info on the restoration

Post by JerryVan »

I've had worn gears like that. A better replacement was easily available. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the possible issue would be the gear chatter you're hearing. In my case, it was a fluctuating speed issue. I only mention it in case you should find that you have speed problems, and not complicate your day. :) If it runs well, then I'm happy for you.

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Jerry, I did not take any offence, and you are right my day got very complicated today. I have a motor problem.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

I got my parts for the reproducer rebuild, I first had to make a new tone arm pin, it was missing when I got the machine. I turned one out on my jewelers lathe and stacked it to the tone arm.
20211028_075706.jpg
20211028_080305.jpg
20211028_090455.jpg
The machine had what looked like lead shot for bearings, I purchased new bearings. Installed them to the tone arm mount and oiled them. I polished the tone arm with MAAS ready to mount.
20211028_092321.jpg
20211028_092549.jpg
I purchased all new screws and springs for the reproducer. I polished the front case with MAAS and Brasso on the back plate. I also cleaned the needle arm.
20211028_115152.jpg
After rebuilding the reproduce I was ready to install it on the tonearm.
20211028_141944.jpg
20211028_142001.jpg
20211028_142709.jpg
Looked good at this point. I wound up the machine and played my first disc. It sounded really good. Then the second disc started to slow down at the end of the disc. Hum, that is not good. Wound up the machine again and just let it spin. Crap it got slower on the RPM real fast. Then it came to a grinding halt! I just hung my head and voiced things that could get me kicked off this sight and that my grandkids should not hear. I am going to need motor gears for sure. How do I go about getting replacements? I think I need the spring drum drive gear and also the drive gear for the governor. Not feeling to proud of my rebuild right now.

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

The motor plate casting has #17 cast into the plate also #17 stamped into the spring drum and one of the springs has #17 stamped on the spring. Is this the model number of the motor?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Great job so far. I am convinced you'll get the motor issues figured out as well, no worries.
Just FYI: the backplate of the #2 reproducer should not be polished to blank brass, but rather should be black. No big deal, you can easily blacken it again with liver of sulfur or similar concoctions. Probably happened to most of us at some point when we got too eager cleaning up. It sure has happened to me in the past :oops:

Andreas

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Thanks alang, I did not know that, it was not black at the start but I could see that it was brass. So naturally I thought it should be polished brass. My mistake so I will use your suggestion to get it back to what it should be. I guess it is just the clock guy in me to think it should be polished. If I would have known that it would of saved me an hour or so that I took to polish it.
Last edited by Herderz on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The no 17, stamped on the spring and spring barrels, as I've learned herein, means 17 feet spring length. In the motor it could be the model number, although AFAIK, your motor is a no.32...
Judging by where the number is stamped, just under the spring barrel, I tend to think it also means the length of springs. The model no. 32 when spares was not sunken, but raised in thicker type.
Supplies for these model gears are pretty common. You only have to locate one supplier near you... Or in case you don't mind, email George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonograph, Michigan. He may be in there links section, but if you simply Google it you'll find the contact info. He's very professional. You send him these motor photos and he'll have the gears for you.
Inigo

Herderz
Victor II

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Inigo, I will have to try to find someone to get the gears from. I got over 3 weeks on the cabinet along with everything else. I love the machine and never thought that I would have problems at this point, but that is the way it goes sometimes.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Don't be discouraged... It may have been quite well used, and that speaks about its good performance... These are war wounds and history. You could replace both gears and it will sing again happy and strong.
Personally, I would keep the worn out gears in a package in one corner inside the machine, with a note dating the replacement.
This loyal Queen has gone along a pretty long mileage! That's good, and tells a lot about the quality of these machines...!
You'll feel very proud of it!
Inigo

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Funny how these things will bring out the worst in you when they don’t work :lol:

I know I’ve been there before! Don’t be discouraged. Maybe ask Brian Parlier if he’s got replacement gears? Or George V?

David