Victor Talking Machine VV IX and info on the restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Re: Victor Talking Machine VV IX and info on the restoration

Post by Herderz »

I have found this drive gear on a ebay store. It is from a M240L motor. It looks like the same gear and the motor it came from looks like mine except the 2 spring drum is a little different. It uses a double hook end spring where mine is a pear hole outer with a hook inner. I don't know if it is interchangeable.
s-l1600.jpg
Here is mine.
20211029_102500.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You could ask the seller for the measurements of his wheel...
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Herderz wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:52 pm I have found this drive gear on a ebay store. It is from a M240L motor. It looks like the same gear and the motor it came from looks like mine except the 2 spring drum is a little different. It uses a double hook end spring where mine is a pear hole outer with a hook inner. I don't know if it is interchangeable.
s-l1600.jpg
Here is mine.
20211029_102500.jpg
That looks like an excellent gear. Should work fine. I would also get the spindle shaft/worm shaft.

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

The M240L motor is the apex of spring motors, really the best in my opinion. With a replacement gear should run nearly silent. Your repair job on that spring was first class.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

A comment on this thread got me wondering if the no 2 reproducer back was dark or bright brass when new. Someone comented that it was black but to me that looks like petina from years of brass oxidation. The area on the front with the writing seems to have a coating to make it dark and make the writing stand out but the back looks to me to be regular brass petina from age. Since no one has seen one new and i have not seen any photographs of one when it was new, does anyone really know?
I personally wouldnt artificially darken it as age will do it for you.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jonsheff wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 pm A comment on this thread got me wondering if the no 2 reproducer back was dark or bright brass when new. Someone comented that it was black but to me that looks like petina from years of brass oxidation. The area on the front with the writing seems to have a coating to make it dark and make the writing stand out but the back looks to me to be regular brass petina from age. Since no one has seen one new and i have not seen any photographs of one when it was new, does anyone really know?
They were black oxide coated...
DSC05932.JPG

Herderz
Victor II
Personal Text: Clockman

Post by Herderz »

Thanks Jerry, Mine looked like the one on the left. I thought it was just dirt on the brass. I could use liver of sulfur to re-black but will probably mess up the gold lettering on the front. I guess that is what I get for not researching.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Herderz,

Do you have any updates? If you still need the gears I can probably help you out. Send me a PM.

Jonsheff
Victor II

Post by Jonsheff »

JerryVan wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:52 am
Jonsheff wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 pm A comment on this thread got me wondering if the no 2 reproducer back was dark or bright brass when new. Someone comented that it was black but to me that looks like petina from years of brass oxidation. The area on the front with the writing seems to have a coating to make it dark and make the writing stand out but the back looks to me to be regular brass petina from age. Since no one has seen one new and i have not seen any photographs of one when it was new, does anyone really know?
They were black oxide coated...
DSC05932.JPG
Thanks Jerry, good to know. Looks like black oxide was a corrosion prevention coating used on metals, didnt know.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

OK, stupid question now: is black oxide coating the same as blackened with liver of sulfur? Or is that a different process?

Thanks
Andreas