I just took delivery of some serious record storage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

I just took delivery of some serious record storage

Post by drh »

It's been a fairly long road, by no means without bumps, but I just this evening received an eBay purchase from some weeks back: a record storage cabinet with clamshell storage albums. It was misdescribed as a "lawyer's bookcase," but I recognized the albums at once. Finally, I'll have storage suited to organizing my Pathé discs, or at least a good part of them, a long-time goal.

I've seen this sort of album and even already own some, although finding more, until now, has been a challenge, but I've never seen a collection in a fitted cabinet like this before. The albums on the top row are sized for 10" records; those in the middle and bottom rows are for 12", which I know from experience makes them just the right size for 11.25" Pathé discs in their original sleeves. The dimensions of the top are just about a perfect fit for the Edison Triumph.

[edit] The photo is a bit deceptive: that curtain rod across the top actually sits well back from the bell of the cygnet horn.
record cabinet.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: I just took delivery of some serious record storage

Post by Inigo »

It looks Royale! Congrats!
Inigo

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Wow! That’s a great display.

David

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That's a Music Library. :ugeek:

James.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I have to show my ignorance :oops: I have no idea what a clamshell storage album is. :oops: Would you mind posting a few pictures of such an album inside and outside? Thanks in advance.

Congratulations to your acquisition.
Andreas

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

alang wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:27 pm I have to show my ignorance :oops: I have no idea what a clamshell storage album is. :oops: Would you mind posting a few pictures of such an album inside and outside? Thanks in advance.

Congratulations to your acquisition.
Andreas
Thanks (to you and everyone else)! I posted photos in the Yankee Trader ad I put up ages ago, which never bore any fruit:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38160

I still wouldn't mind having a few more, should anyone feel the urge to do a bit of downsizing--nudge, nudge, wink, wink. 8-)

drh
Victor IV

Post by drh »

Last night I learned something more about these albums--they date to the 1950s and were sold by a company called H. Royer Smith of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as storage for LPs. Further snooping around on the web revealed H.R.S. operated a record store there for several decades and also published record periodicals, first Disques in the early Depression era and then a more modest successor called The New Records. Here's an advertisement for the storage albums, which appears at the bottom left corner of the page: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-A ... X-0076.pdf

Nothing there about the cabinet, by the way--I don't know if that was sold by H.R.S. originally or if it was a possibly custom-built aftermarket item. Considering how perfectly it fits the albums, I figure it must be one or the other. Oh, and by now all the 12" albums and one 10" are full of Pathé records. Unfortunately, no help there for the 10.5" size Pathés, but you can't win 'em all. Two more of the 10" albums are housing my Edison "24 minute" long-playing diamond discs. Still debating what to do with the other 10" ones: perhaps segregate my electrical diamond discs into them, or perhaps transfer a bunch of classical instrumental Edisons that are presently living in the set of Edison boxes I finally assembled for my A-150.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

They look great, especially because they are all have the same fancy spine design.
I see in the link that they are sleeveless, more like boxes.

I've got a few 12" albums designed for LP's with clear plastic sleeves, which I really like because I can put records in their original paper sleeves into them, which is great for those that are hard to find or getting brittle, so they are more protected but still visible.
The plastic sleeves are oversized to compensate for the LP covers, so perhaps you could find similar 10" albums that 10.5" records would fit into?

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Supreme storage all nice and orderly and matching. Hope one day to fix my problem with that. Was able to do it with the cylinders but 78s still reside in random boxes and totes on the floor. I’m getting more hours at my job so I hope things are changing.