HELP!! I need Assistance ~ 1916 VE-XVI Light Bulb Lamp Not Working

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

HELP!! I need Assistance ~ 1916 VE-XVI Light Bulb Lamp Not Working

Post by pellicano1 »

So here it is guys! I just cant get the bulb to light. Here is what I have done thus far:

1. Replaced socket since original had a broken hot pin.
2. Contact cleaned all connections including inside the lid switch and socket itself.
3. Tested the socket. Getting 118-120.
4. Ohm test on 3 bulbs and passed tests.
5. Verified the bulb is hitting the bottom hot pin. Bulb is also touching threaded side.
6. Tested the wires off the socket and got 118-120.
7 Here is the New bulbs I tried: https://www.ebay.com/itm/131261943700

I am stumped! I even made a video regarding this issue lol: https://youtu.be/6JviMZhr2XQ

Any suggestions would be great!!

Could it be I should be using a low voltage bulb?? Any suggestions on acquiring one if so? I just am running out of ideas!
20211001_160150.jpg
20211001_160150.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 820 times
20210922_115655.jpg
20210905_090115.jpg
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: HELP!! I need Assistance ~ 1916 VE-XVI Light Bulb Lamp Not Working

Post by Skihawx »

If you measure 118 or 120 on the two screws on the socket with the bulb in place that locates the problem to the socket. But you need the bulb in the socket. And try both positions on the pull chain.

You could always take the socket off the machine and connect it to a cord and try the socket by itself. It has to be the wiring, one of the switches, or the socket. Trick is diagnosing the problem without cutting or splicing leaving permanent evidence.

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

Skihawx wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm If you measure 118 or 120 on the two screws on the socket with the bulb in place that locates the problem to the socket. But you need the bulb in the socket. And try both positions on the pull chain.

You could always take the socket off the machine and connect it to a cord and try the socket by itself. It has to be the wiring, one of the switches, or the socket. Trick is diagnosing the problem without cutting or splicing leaving permanent evidence.
Thanks! I will try this!
Thomas A. Edison

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Yes if you try measurement with a high impedance meter on unloaded with the bulb, you may measure 120vac due to leakage. Soon as you pull the bulb in the voltage across the bulb terminal will drop to zero.

To further isolate the open circuit without it powered, measure with an ohmmeter the DC resistance from the each plug prong to the side of the socket it is connected to. My gut feeling is it is the toggle switch. Fortunately, in those far off days, components like,switches could be disassembled and repaired.

I would suspect dried grease coupled with burnt contacts is providing the leakage current which provided the 120vac reading at the socket. I would focus on the switch.

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

I would also try turning the light switches on with the bulb in place, then unplug the cord from the wall and measure the resistance between the two plug prongs. If the resistance is higher than the resistance of the bulb, then you need to track down what's causing the extra resistance.

Like Governor Flyball said, measuring 120 volts at the socket with the bulb removed doesn't prove anything, since even a very high problem resistance would still let the voltage leak through.

Jim Nichol

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

When you say you "tested the socket" and got 118V, where were you putting your probes? Are you taking readings off the threaded sleeve of the socket and off of the button inside the socket?

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

JerryVan wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:37 am When you say you "tested the socket" and got 118V, where were you putting your probes? Are you taking readings off the threaded sleeve of the socket and off of the button inside the socket?
Yes off the hot button and thread.
Thomas A. Edison

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Try looking for cracks in the threaded part of the socket, when the bulb is snugged up it may be causing a separation allowing an open circuit.
When the bulb is out, it shows continuity, or 118 volts because a crack would rejoin itself.

You have to start eliminating parts in the circuit another way other then your multi metre.
Start with the socket and bulb.

Take a new socket and a bulb that you know works and wire that up bypassing the socket that's in there.
If it doesn't work, then you will know for sure, that there is no voltage even getting to the socket.

The other way is to take a known working bulb, screw it into the socket and apply an external 120 volt source.
You will have to disconnect the wires from the phonographs socket to do this, you don't want voltage feeding backwards into the phonograph.

If it does not light, check the bulb again in a table lamp, and if you have positively eliminated the bulb as the cause, then there is an undiscovered fault in the phonographs socket.